News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Croatia to introduce the euro in 2023

Started by eurocoin, July 22, 2021, 01:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Quote from: redlock on May 15, 2023, 07:58:44 PMBy the way, what means ''borrow?'' Will Germany get back Croatian Euro coins at some point?

Guess so, yes. With regard to euro notes, such deals are more common: The new euro country gets paper money from elsewhere, and returns paper money at some point. Kind of strange these days, as cash demand is likely to further decrease, so "selling" makes more sense to me ...

eurocoin

Deutsche Bundesbank in reply to my questions:

QuoteUnfortunately, we cannot provide you with the requested information because it is confidential.

eurocoin

Under the terms of the agreement, Croatia has to deliver coins to Germany before the end of the year. It seems that at least a part of the coins was already supplied as the finds of Croatian coins in Germany seem to be quite high. There are no further plans of supply of coins by other countries to Croatia. For reasons of confidentiality, the National Bank of Croatia was unwilling to provide information about which countries supplied which denominations. In general they were also getting quite suspicious about my questions, so I guess I will leave it at that.

chrisild

Thanks for the info you got from them and posted here!  :like:

Angus

Quote from: eurocoin on August 01, 2023, 09:35:11 PMUnder the terms of the agreement, Croatia has to deliver coins to Germany before the end of the year. It seems that at least a part of the coins was already supplied as the finds of Croatian coins in Germany seem to be quite high. There are no further plans of supply of coins by other countries to Croatia. For reasons of confidentiality, the National Bank of Croatia was unwilling to provide information about which countries supplied which denominations. In general they were also getting quite suspicious about my questions, so I guess I will leave it at that.

Presumably the different coins won't have any different marks on them?

eurocoin

No, the countries concerned (the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany) have just sent stocks of existing coins. These weren't coins that were specially minted.

eurocoin

On a German forum, a member reported that a cash register in Germany full of new Croatian 20 euro cent coins was spotted. This means that Croatia has started supplying newly minted Croatian coins to Germany. Earlier Germany lend coins to Croatia so that Croatia had sufficient coins in stock for the introduction of the euro.