News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Post mongol? : Juchid Pul

Started by Desibot, June 16, 2021, 02:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desibot

Hi

Thoughts on this please
Weight 3.1 g

Thanks

Manzikert

To me it has a Timurid look, and on Zeno I found something similar except that the reverse(?) has a hexagonal border not a square: fals of Kabul https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=215537. It has the same knot ornaments round the square.

Alan

Desibot

Manzikert

Perfect, thank you very much Palomares.

Alan

aws22

Dear Desibot, I tried reading the Kufic writing within the squares:
Golden Horde, Juchid, Toqta, AH 709, AE Pul, Khwarizm mint (AH 690–712/ 1291–1312 AD)
First photo: written in Kufic within square
ضرب في خوارزم , Zarb fi Khwarism
Second photo: written in Kufic within square
Batu Khan's tamgha (imperial seal of the House of Batu) in the centre.
السلطان توقته سنه ٩  , al-Sultan Toqta sanah "9"   , the year digit " 9  ٩ " is only visible, may indicate year 709.
Tokhta (Toqta توقته) was a khan of the Golden Horde, son of Mengu-Timur and great grandson of Batu Khan. He was a khan of the Golden Horde in 1291—1312  AD. His name "Tokhtokh" means "hold/holding" in the Mongolian language.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Desibot

Thankyou guys for all the info  :perfect: :thumbsup:

Pellinore

And what a beautiful design.
— Paul

Figleaf

The overlay is quite helpful, Maythem. Thank you.

Kwarezm was a Chagatai inheritance, I believe. I was vaguely aware that the Juchids took over for a while, but need to read more on why they took the city and how it came back to the Chagatai dynasty.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Thank you Peter

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".