Who is depicted on the coin 100 francs 1990, "Bobsledding" (KM # 981)?

Started by linkpusher, March 03, 2021, 10:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

linkpusher

I collect coins of unusual themes - with portraits of women, issued in the period 1900-2000  8)

Recently I got a French coin - 100 francs 1990, "Bobsledding" (KM # 981).

I'm not 100% sure that there is a girl on top of the sled :) I am confused by some details, and I am not good at old French fashion. In Russia, very similar caftans and boots were often worn by men, as on pic (modern interpretation).

I tried to find Joaquin Jimenez's social media account to ask about this, but to no avail.

Any ideas? :)

Figleaf

Today, Joaquin Jimenez is director of the "Monnaie de Paris". You may be able to reach him through their web site.

The young lady is betrayed by her hairdo, which is feminine. As for the boots, the points turned upwards on the Russian version is a Turkish influence. There was no Turkish influence on French fashion at any time. The coat's furry decoration is also just a tad too broad for a male.

In fact, the boots would have been recognised as female equipment. There is a (possibly apocryphal) story of Dwight Eisenhower, later US president, having to go to school in the boots of his older sister, due to the family's poverty. The story says the whole class was aware of his boot's sex change. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

It is a woman. On the certificate of authenticity of this coin, this is what is being described that can be seen on the coin:

"Conducteur de bobsleigh et lugeuse de la Belle Époque". Which translates to: "(male) driver of the bobsled and (female) sledder of the Belle Époque".

So it shows a past and present version of sledding with the bobsleigh being the present version and the past version showing a woman on the sled in traditional clothes of the Belle Époque. The woman that is depicted is not a specific existing person.

linkpusher

Quote from: Figleaf on March 03, 2021, 11:33:24 AM
Today, Joaquin Jimenez is director of the "Monnaie de Paris". You may be able to reach him through their web site.
Yes, I wrote to them, but have not received an answer yet.

Colleagues, thank you very much for your help! Very valuable to me!

linkpusher

Quote from: Figleaf on March 03, 2021, 11:33:24 AM
The young lady is betrayed by her hairdo
Popular Russian character :)

Seriously, the hand size confused me the most.

But, probably, it's the gloves.

Guillaume Hermann

Quote from: Figleaf on March 03, 2021, 11:33:24 AMIn fact, the boots would have been recognised as female equipment. There is a (possibly apocryphal) story of Dwight Eisenhower, later US president, having to go to school in the boots of his older sister, due to the family's poverty. The story says the whole class was aware of his boot's sex change. ;)
So we are two persons, Eisenhower and I... But I have no sister, it was my female cousin's boots. And my mother was not poor, but only stingy.
Light grey leather with flowers and high heels...
Conférences à l'école, collectivité, ou domicile, avec mes objets de collection manipulables par le public, sur des sujets d'Histoire et SVT.
https://le-musee-en-classe.jimdosite.com/
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61551887348487
https://www.linkedin.com/company/le-musée-en-classe/about/

Figleaf

Don't worry, Guillaume. I met Arnold Schwarzenegger (he's a bit shortish) and he was wearing high-heeled boots too. :D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.