News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Ghaznavid dynasty Khusrau Malik (1160- 86 AD) Jital ,GZ062

Started by sarwar khan, January 16, 2021, 09:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarwar khan

Khusrau Malik was the last Sultan of the Ghaznavid Empire, ruling from 1160 to 1186. He was the son and successor of Khusrau-Shah

In 1161/2, a group of Oghuz Turks seized the Ghaznavid capital of Ghazna, forcing Khusrau Malik to retreat to Lahore, which became his new capital. From there he made incursions into northern India, expanding his rule as far as southern Kashmir. He also created an alliance with the Indian Khokar tribe. In 1170, Khusrau (or one of his commanders) invaded the southern part of the Ganges.

In 1178 the Ghurid ruler Mu'izz al-Din Muhammad  invaded the southern part of Ghaznavid Punjab  and reached as far as Gujarat. In 1179/80 he seized Peshawar, and by 1181/2 swept around Lahore, but Khusrau Malik managed to keep him from the city by paying him. However, Lahore was finally captured by the Ghurids in 1186, while Khusrau-Malik and his son Bahram-Shah were taken to Ghur and imprisoned, marking the end of the Ghaznavid Empire.

Details about the coin :-
Sultan :- Khusrau Malik
Year :- 1160-1186 AD
Denomination - Billion Jital
Mint :-Lahore mint
Condition - Very fine
Obverse: Al sultan al azam star above & below,
Reverse: Taj al  Daulah Khusru malik.
Reference :- GZ062

I posted coin with Overlay

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

THCoins

Thanks for showing. I very much like this type. The bold legend in the blocky Lahore script style seems to be in contrast with the ongoing downfall of the Ghaznavids at the time. Your overlay highlights this beautifully! It is interesting to see how the Ghorids continued this style of coinage from Lahore almost unchanged.
Regarding your reference; It is not clear to which reference you refer with Gz.S#009 ? Commonly used for this are Goron and Goenka (G&G) GZ062 or Tye#121. The Tye catalog calls it Common, i'd rather follow the G&G assertion that it's a Scarce coin.

Anthony

sarwar khan

Quote from: THCoins on January 16, 2021, 11:52:44 AM
Thanks for showing. I very much like this type. The bold legend in the blocky Lahore script style seems to be in contrast with the ongoing downfall of the Ghaznavids at the time. Your overlay highlights this beautifully! It is interesting to see how the Ghorids continued this style of coinage from Lahore almost unchanged.
Regarding your reference; It is not clear to which reference you refer with Gz.S#009 ? Commonly used for this are Goron and Goenka (G&G) GZ062 or Tye#121. The Tye catalog calls it Common, i'd rather follow the G&G assertion that it's a Scarce coin.

Anthony
THcoins sir it's typo mistake sorry for silly mistake

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

THCoins

No reason for sorry ! Especially on a mobile device, i find typing longer texts sometimes a difficult undertaking !