Author Topic: Civic copper of Urumi with dragon 12(06?) AH  (Read 103 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Civic copper of Urumi with dragon 12(06?) AH
« on: November 20, 2020, 11:41:53 AM »
11,06g / edge with oblique streaks
Coiled dragon  with a long muzzle and beautiful teeth , with " Ya Muhammad " in center.
(Notice that there is a tashdid to double the "mim", which is not very common on coins).
The date is placed at bottom below the "b" of "zarb" : 12xx ", Alaedini reads 1206 and suggests a coin struck at time of Aqa Muhammad Khan" ( linked with "Ya Muhammad")
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 01:46:24 PM by saro »
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Civic copper of Urumi with dragon
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 03:43:02 PM »
Another outstanding type !
With all these different Urumi types you could easily fill a specialized catalog.  I get the impression that the range of pictorial  types for this mint is quite large relatively to other mints. Or is that just a matter of exposure bias ? As you showed quite a lot recently, are you now specially focussing on these ?

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 04:33:57 PM »
Another outstanding type !
 As you showed quite a lot recently, are you now specially focussing on these ?

Not really, but as I listed a dragon among the various designs I've seen for this mint, I posted the one I have with me since a long time.
At head of the most prolific cities in varieties of designs, we find, far ahead, Erivan, followed by Rasht and Tabriz; Urumi is not too badly placed...

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 05:25:33 PM »
I love that dragon! It smashes right through the belief that dragons occur only in the Chinese and European cultures.

I am surprised there are so many civic coins from Erevan. Thinking about it, I wonder if it had to do with Erevan's embattled position between Iranian, Ottoman and Russian ambitions. It may have been quite unsafe outside the city walls for long periods. IIRC, there was even a (national) mint in Erevan, striking silver coins. That seems unwise in uncertain times and so close to the border, but maybe it was the only option in the situation?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »
 do not have the answer but probably the incessant conflicts and the associated need of money,  as well as  the greed of the governors of these semi-autonomous provinces must have induced variations for these local coins struck under their authority.

joined : a nice dragon's head from another coin of same type.