News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

A third possible dinar

Started by Pellinore, August 10, 2020, 12:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellinore

This coin was fished out of a junk box maybe decades ago by a friend of mine, who in other boxes at other fairs or markets found this Great Seljuq dinar of (possibly) the year 451H = 1059 AD, and this Ghaznavid dinar of the year 406H = 1015/6 AD. (Naturally, he found thousands of other coins and varied items that took his fancy, in the course of time.)

I'm afraid I don't know the type and it is rather vaguely minted. Still, it looks like a low-gold dinar to me, and the weight is 4.04 gr., diameter 25 mm. I hope (and trust) somebody can help!

Edit: I added details of the year and mint part of the obverse. They look promising I think.

-- Paul

THCoins

The reigning caliph is Al-Qadir, so that gives you a rough dating. Other details need some more attention.

shiblius

Pellinore

With these data, I found a number of base / imitative Buwayhid dinars of the late 390s on Zeno. They are looking the same in their fuzzy way. The mint is Suq al-Ahwaz in Khuzistan, that I can read now that I know.
— Paul

aws22

Dear Paul, your coin:
Buwayhid (Buyid) Dynasty, Baha'a al-Dawla abu Nasr, citing Abbasid caliph al-Qadir Billah, 395 AH, Gold Dinar, Suq al-Ahwaz in Khuzistan mint (AH 379-403/ 989-1012 AD)
Obverse (Left photo):   
Field
و   Waw (Letter Waw in Arabic)
لا اله الا الله La Ilah Illa Allah
وحده لا شريك له  Wahdahu la Sharik lahu
الملك بهاء الدولة al-Malik Baha'a al-Dawla
و ضيا الملة   wa Dia' al-Milla
ابو نصر   abu Nasr
Margin: Verse from thw Quarn
لله الأمر من قبل و من بعد ويومئذ يفرح المؤمنون بنصر الله, Lilah al'amr min qabl w min baed wayawmayidh yafrah almuminun binasr allah, meaning, The decision of the matter, before and after is only with Allah. And on that day, the believers will rejoice. (Sura 30, Verse 4, Juz' 21: Al-Room (The Romans)).
Reverse (Right photo):
لله Lillah
محمد رسول الله Muhammad Rasul Allah
القادر بالله  al-Qadir Billah (Referring to Abbasid Caliph)
شاهانشاه  Shahinshah
قوام الدين   Quam al-Din
Inner margin
بسم الله ضرب هذا الدينر بسوق الاهواز سنه خمس وتسعين وثلثمائه ٣٩٥
, Bism Allah dhuriba hatha al-Dinar bi-Suq al-Ahwaz sanah khams wa tisa'een wa thalathemaia (395).
Outer margin: Verse from the Quran
محمد رسول الله ارسله بالهدى و دين الحق ليظهره على الدين كله ولو كره المشركون
Muhammad Rasul Allah arsalahu bi'l-huda wa din al-haqq li-yuzhirahu 'ala al-din kullihi wa law kariha al-mushrikun
"Muhammad is the messenger of God who sent him with guidance and the religion of truth that he might make it supreme over all other religions, even though the polytheists may detest it"
Sura 9 (al-Tawba), v. 33.
Abu Nasr Firuz Kharshadh ( أبو نصر فيروز خوارشاذ‎ ), better known by his laqab of " Baha'a al-Dawla  بهاء الدوله‎ " meaning, al- " Splendour of the State " was the Buyid Amir of Iraq (988–1012 AD).

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Pellinore

Great, thanks! And fast, too. My compliments!

-- Paul

aws22

Thank you Paul, such coin is difficult to read because the inscriptions are not sharp enough to identify. In my reply, I have defined every letter and word on this gold coin. It is surprising to see, so much information squeezed into this small coin.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".