Author Topic: Safavids, Isma'il Shah I , falus of Herat / "be la'nat series"  (Read 155 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Here is one of the most interesting legends appearing on some rare early safavids coins.
These coins are royal issues warning the counterfeiter of the risks involved if falsifiyng the Shah's coppers :
"be la’nat-e  ilahi taghayyoordeh-ye  folus-e  shahi" / " پیوسته بلعنت الهی تغییر ده فلوس شاهی  "
("may God's curse be forever on him who changes the royal fulus")
 That could have been better a message for the governors who obtained from the shah the privilege of issuing the copper coinage in their provinces and used to corrupt it year after year, for their own great profit...  a wishful thinking, it seems !
The mintname is clear , but not the date... a similar coin on Zeno is dated 929.
7,28g / 24-25mm
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 08:35:49 AM by saro »
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline maudry

• Meritorious Member
Re: Safavids, Isma'il Shah I , falus of Herat / "be la'nat series"
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 09:37:01 PM »
Nice coin. Something quite different from the civic coppers generally seen.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 10:22:31 PM »
Fun coin! Thank you for the explanation.

I wonder what "changing" means in this context. Is it a warning addressed to local governors, a growl against imitations from other rulers or a threat to counterfeiters? In European countries and their colonies, it could also have been advice against clipping, but that seems somehow not to happen in other parts of the world.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 10:07:02 AM »
I wonder what "changing" means in this context. Is it a warning addressed to local governors, a growl against imitations from other rulers or a threat to counterfeiters?
According to Stehen Album (checklist 318) : "taghayyordeh" / "he who changes", does not mean counterfeiter here, but refers to the governor who changes the face value of the folus at a rate profitable for himself[/i]"

I suppose that the "common" counterfeiter was, at this time, severely punished in another manner than a divine damnation... in France, during middle age, they were immersed in a pot of boiling water....in 1994, only 30 years imprisonment (20F banknote)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:47:47 PM by saro »
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)