News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Game: Guess Three Islands in Europe!

Started by Alex Island, May 02, 2020, 12:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Island

Three puzzles.

Each coin corresponds to one of the islands in Europe.

Guess these three islands:
All islands around the world & islands coin

andyg

One of those is an Osella from Venice.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Alex Island

Quote from: andyg on May 02, 2020, 01:09:41 PM
One of those is an Osella from Venice.

Of course .. This coin is dedicated to one of the specific islands of this region.

andyg

It commemorates the successful prevention of plague in Venice.
legend is "even in this distress I did not abandon you"
I guess the island reference is the church on Poveglia with a ship in quarantine.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Alex Island

Quote from: andyg on May 02, 2020, 01:18:44 PM
It commemorates the successful prevention of plague in Venice.
legend is "even in this distress I did not abandon you"
I guess the island reference is the church on Poveglia with a ship in quarantine.

That's right!
Speech about the event on the Poveglia island.

Poveglia - Wikipedia

Afrasi

The third one is from Stevensweert, an island in the river Rhine. Today the island doesn't exist no more due to river regulations.

Sancti STephani INSVLA

Here my very poor piece:

Figleaf

In case you are wondering about the strange text of that coin, it tries to imitate a duit from Overijssel with the text TRANS / ISVLA / NIA or variant. Take into account that many people, especially the poor, who would handle copper coins, could not read.

Stevensweert was a small catholic lordship, nominally an independent part of the Holy Roman Empire, in fact under the protection of the Habsburgs. It was waging economic war against the protestant Republic of the Seven United Netherlands by making lightweight coins that resembled official Dutch coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Alex Island

Quote from: Afrasi on May 02, 2020, 07:17:20 PM
The third one is from Stevensweert, an island in the river Rhine. Today the island doesn't exist no more due to river regulations.

Sancti STephani INSVLA

Here my very poor piece:

Absolutely right!

Duit - Dutch Republic – Numista

Figleaf

That listing contains errors and it is incomplete. Here is a good listing. (Click on "De catalogus", Stevensweert is in the first column, click and scroll down to STE.6, underlined codes give access to pictures; link in Dutch.)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.