British weight to be identified

Started by bagerap, April 30, 2020, 04:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagerap

The more I read about trade weights, the more engrossing the subject.
This example is 26.3 gr, 34 x 4.5 mm and possibly bronze. It bears three marks, a dagger, a coffee pot or ewer which may be double struck and a crowned initial which is either G or C.
There is no A for avoirdupois, but this may not be significant.
Study tells me that the arrangement of these three symbols may be a good indication of the date, however I'm getting confusing messages from different sources.
I think that this is probably George III with the outside chance that it is Carolean.

Figleaf

Using this site, I found that the dagger stands for London (makes sense, see the London arms) and the ewer seems somehow to indicate 1892. I think the third mark is a crowned G. See this weight.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Manzikert

The ewer mark is the mark of the Company of Founders [workers in brass and bronze] of London, who applied this mark to weights which they had inspected from about 1588 onwards (see https://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital%20BNJ/pdfs/2001_BNJ_71_11.pdf) and I have a George II coin weight somewhere with this mark, so where that website gets '1826-1892' from is a mystery.

Alan

malj1

Compare the image 16  in that article, while not the same it does have similar marks.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

bagerap

Thank you all, I do have other weights with the Founder's Co dagger mark which certainly predate 1892. As mentioned earlier, the position of the marks, coupled with the absence of the A character can be a good indicator of date. Currently I'm ploughing through hundreds of images hosted by the Portable Antiquities Scheme.