Author Topic: Habbarid Amir of Sind, AR Qanhari Dirham, Umar, G&G# AS33  (Read 139 times)

Offline soumen

Habbarid Amir of Sind, AR Qanhari Dirham, Umar, G&G# AS33
« on: January 16, 2020, 07:10:45 PM »
Habbarid Amir of Sind
Umar
AR Qanhari Dirham
Weight: 0.58 gm
G&G# AS33 // Fishman & Todd# HS4

Legend
Obv.
Billah yathiqu / ‘Umar wa bihi / yantasir

Rev.
Lillah / Muhammad / rasul / Allah / ‘Umar

Numismall: “These coins are attributed to ‘Umar I ibn Abd al-Aziz, the first of the Habbarid Amirs, who took control of Sindh with Caliphal approval in ca.854 CE but ruled as an independent Amir, functionally secceeding from the Caliphate. 'Umar minted silver dammas and exceedingly rare gold fractions dinars, but most of his coins are very worn and poorly struck.”

Regards
Soumen
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:34:23 AM by Saikat »
Soumen

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Habbarid Amir of Sind, AR Qanhari Dirham, Umar, G&G# AS33
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 06:32:57 PM »
TFP, soumen. I presume the "Caliphal approval" means that he was supposed to rule the area for the Caliph and decided to start an emirate for himself.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 02:41:30 PM »
I think that it wat quite customary that the caliphal overrule was largely symbolic in the distant regions. Local rulers payed their respect to the caliph with the financial obligations linked to this, but were largely independent de facto.

Offline soumen

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 03:37:45 PM »
Agreed with Anthony. I Think the "Caliphal approval" was also valid in case of early Dehli Sultanate but customary. It may not have the financial obligations.

Regards
Soumen
Soumen