News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Jordan 1973: Royal Mint sketches of unadopted designs

Started by <k>, October 31, 2019, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

The minutes of the meeting of the Royal Mint Advisory Committee in 1973 state the following:

The authorities in Jordan wish to produce four new reverse designs in their coinage, and the Royal Mint has been asked to submit sketches featuring oranges and olives on the two lower denominations, and a window in the Hisham Palace and the Dome of Abd-al-Malik on the two higher denominations.

Scottish artist David McFall was asked to submit some sketches on this theme, and images of these sketches can be seen below.

I am very grateful to the Royal Mint Museum for providing me with scans of these sketches.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

The sketch of the ½ girsh design featured an orange.

The header that appeared above the sketch of the ½ girsh.

<k>

An image of the sheet with the sketches of two 1 girsh designs.

<k>

A closer look at the first 1 girsh design, which featured olives.

<k>

A closer look at the second 1 girsh design, which also featured olives.

<k>

An image of the sheet with the sketch of the quarter dinar design.

<k>

An image of the sketch of the quarter dinar design, featuring a window in Hisham's Palace.

<k>

An image of the sketch of the half dinar design, featuring the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem.

<k>

The Royal Mint Advisory Committee did not like the inner circles on quarter and half dinar designs, but Mr McFall insisted that these were integral to the design.

The available documentation also includes sketches of two ¼ dirham designs featuring barley or wheat. However, no accompanying commentary is given with these. I assume that RMAC asked Mr McFall to produce a design on a different theme for this denomination, since his original design was not liked. Here, however, the designs are shown on a round shape rather than the 10-sided shape used for the previous design. It is even possible that these designs were intended for FAO-themed coins, but that is just a guess and I may be wrong.

<k>

An image of the sheet with the two ¼ dirham designs.

<k>

<k>

<k>

Ultimately, neither Royal Mint Advisory Committee nor Jordan found McFall's designs satisfactory, and they were not adopted. Jordan did not adopt any new reverse designs until 1992.

David McFall continued to submit designs for coins to the Royal Mint, but to my knowledge none of them was ever accepted.

You see some of Mr McFall's designs for the UK round pounds of the 1980s here.