News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Comments on "Percy Metcalfe, Coin Designer"

Started by <k>, March 10, 2011, 12:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Parent topic: Percy Metcalfe, Coin Designer.

This topic is for comments about the above parent topic, which is a locked topic. Medals by Metcalfe will be posted in this "comments" topic.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

constanius

He was a very talented individual.

A medal by Metcalfe, unlisted in BHM.
The Mond Nickel Company Ltd, undated, struck from pure nickel for the British Empire Exhibition 1924-1925 45mm by PM (Percy Metcalfe 1895-1970) Rare. Obv: helmeted head of warrior (Britannia) right, holding trident, below, part of a globe featuring a deer(springbok?), beaver, kangaroo and tiger,(for South Africa, Canada, Australia & India) Rev: THE/ MOND / NICKEL / COMPANY / LTD / NICKEL 99.9% plain edge.

I have a couple more of his medals for that exhibition that I still need to photograph.
Picture from the internet of one those that I need to dig out and take pictures & post.

translateltd

Figleaf

botero_cat.jpg

The medals give the best impression of Metcalfe's art. That is how it should be. Medals are art. Coins are public property and the public is conservative. It is a tribute to Metcalfe that he could restrain himself and produce the stuff the public would accept. I often marvel at how modern and powerful art deco looks today. That fantastic lion on the British empire medals to me is a predecessor of Botéro's cat.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Quote from: Figleaf on March 10, 2011, 09:22:51 PM
Medals are art. Coins are public property and the public is conservative.

The best coin designs are art too. Metcalfe managed to push the boundaries and produce some truly innovative coin designs, which are still admired today. True, in the area of medals, an artist has more freedom and scope to express himself.

Figleaf

For the sake of honesty, the animals on coins was an idea of Yeats, not Metcalfe.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Yes, Yeats' idea, but the style in which they were depicted was all Metcalfe's.

<k>

Metcalfe 1925 British Empire Exhibition.JPG

Here is a medal designed by Percy Metcalfe to commemorate the British Empire Exhibition of 1925. I imagine the medal would have been on sale at the Exhibition itself. The reverse shows an agricultural scene, which is perhaps why the people in it look more Edwardian than 1920s, as they are not wearing high fashion. The design is not one of Metcalfe's best, but I suspect he was still in the process of developing his own style at the time. My thanks to fellow member africancoins for finding an image of the medal.

chrisild

In another topic we are discussing the Latvian 5 lati coin (the famous "Latvian Maiden" type) designed by Rihards Zariņš. Interesting in this context: He was "assisted by Percy Metcalfe, an outstanding engraver from the Royal Mint", and "the silver 5-lats coin, with the plaster model by Percy Metcalfe, a distinguished engraver of The Royal Mint, United Kingdom" ... http://www.bank.lv/en/money/5-lats-silver-collector-coin

Christian

<k>

photo.JPG

The English writer on numismatics, Edward Colgan, who has had articles published in Coin News (UK), sent me the image aobve, from James O'Sweeny's book, "A Numismatic History of the Birmingham Mint". I had wondered whether Mr Metcalfe also designed the reverse of the 20 lei that depicts King Michael/Mihai, since the style seems to be similar to that of the portrait of King Michael/Mihai. It is not clear from the text whether or not this is the case.

<k>

Metcalfe EVIII medal - Canada.jpg

Image courtesy of Heritage Auctions.

Another find by forum member Niels.

Canada
Edward VIII Proof copper nickel Medal 1937 PR67 Cameo PCGS, Metcalfe obverse. Plain edge. With deep mirror surfaces.

Numisbids.

<k>

I am currently updating the main Percy Metcalfe topic. It is not yet in its final version.

RnL

Quote from: <k> link=msg=293260...Its reverse, depicting St George and the Dragon, was the work of Metcalfe...

the RMM mentiones "the face of saint george that we see here is said to be a self-portrait of Percy Metcalfe the artist himself"