News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Reading Nagari Inscription?

Started by SeptimusT, May 04, 2021, 08:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeptimusT

Can anyone make out the Nagari inscription on this piece? It's a clay token, so not technically a coin but very similar in style. The obverse is a simple bust. The closest match I've seen is this one auctioned by Stephen Album, but there is no photo (see here: https://db.stevealbum.com/php/lot_rtl.php?site=1&lang=1&sale=292&lot=1374). They read the last two characters as 'Pala,' and the 'la' is clearly visible on this specimen. Any guesses on the top two characters from people familiar with the script?

THCoins

Hi Septimus, and welcome to WoC !
The text on the bottom is in Sharada script, which is close to Nagari. In whole it reads "Sri MuHaMaDa KuRaLaKa". Not all is visible on your specimen. This is a reference to the 13th century AD Qarlughid ruler in the Sindh area. Unfortunately, this is coupled on the other side with the portrait of Kushan ruler Vima Takto of a 1000 years earlier in a very strange combination. I have seen this type of object before. It is generally considered to be a modern fake production from Pakistan.
Here's a similar one on Zeno

SeptimusT

Very interesting and strange. I paid very little for it, so it's an interesting mystery if nothing else. Thanks for your help with the script! I had looked for similar examples on Zeno but hadn't found that one.

As far as authenticity goes, this one has a provenance back to the 1980s, not that that means much. I recognized the bust as Vima Takto-esque, and while it's very strange to imagine it being coupled with an inscription that late, such things have happened; the coins of the Artuqids of Mardin in Anatolia, for example, copy images from coins that were at least 1,000 years old at the time. Of course, that doesn't explain why it would show up on a clay token. I'll keep looking to see if I can dig up anything else interesting.

THCoins

The 1980's would fit with what i was told about how these items were sold in Peshawar bazaar, next to very bad imitations of Indo-Greek silver coins.
I could find no trace of similar objects in numismatic museum collections which were formed in the 19th century.
Of course if we would have access to reliable archeological find information for these, that might really solve some questions about the origin of these objects.

Palomares

I think that these pieces should go to doubts and fantasies. We are tired of seeing the development of a coin over the centuries such as the Indo-Sassanian ones. These pieces represent a break in the evolution of the Indian coins. They say it is used in burials. Who says it?
Where is the article? What other coins were used in burials? Where are these archaeological findings?