News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Russia: A Dying Empire

Started by Zantetsuken, October 25, 2009, 04:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zantetsuken

This series of coins mark the waining years of the RUSSIAN EMPIRE. The first is a Coronation Ruble for Tsar: Alexander Romanov III dated 1883.  The coin shows Alexander's profile with Cyrillic legend giving his title, date and location of coronation (Moscow) on the obverse side. The reverse shows Alexander crown and orb resting on a decorative cushion with the denomination in Cyrillic at the top. It was during Alexander III's reign that Vladimir Lenin's brother (also named Alexander) was tried and hanged for participating in bomb plot to kill the tsar. It was this event that radicalized Lenin in his revolutionary pursuit. The second is a Coronation Ruble for Tsar: Nikolai Romanov II dated 1896. The obverse shows Nikolai's profile with Cyrillic legend giving Nikolai's title, date and location of coronation (Moscow).  The reverse shows Nikolai II's crown and orb along with scepter, sword and ribbon with the denomination in Cyrillic at the top. Nikolai reigned as the last tsar of the Russian Empire, and was the catalyst that brought about the revolution of 1917.  Between the defeat suffered during the Russo-Japanese war in 1904, and Nikolai's aggressive stance during the first revolution in 1905, was the powder keg that lead to his undoing in the second revolution twelve years later.  The third is a jubilee Ruble marking the 300th Anniversary of the Romanov dynasty dated 1913.  The obverse shows the lesser imperial arms with the denomination written in Cyrillic and the dates 1613-1913. The reverse shows both the first tsar, Mikail Fyodorovich Romanov I (1613-1645) and Nikolai II  unbeknownst at the time was the last of Romanov line. The forth is a 15 Kopek coin dated 1917. This was the last imperial issue struck before the revolution and only had only four denominations 5,10,15 and 20 kopek coins the 5 kopek coin being the rarest. Nikolai II and his family were assassinated the following year on July 17, 1918 by a Soviet regiment at Yekaterinburg (later Sverdlovsk) in the Urals.

RUSSIAN EMPIRE~Coronation Ruble 1883

RUSSIAN EMPIRE~Coronation Ruble 1896

RUSSIAN EMPIRE~1 Ruble 1913

RUSSIAN EMPIRE~15 Kopek 1917

Overlord

Zantetsuken, thanks a ton for the excellent examples and info. I simply love Russian coins.

Zantetsuken

Quote from: Overlord on October 25, 2009, 04:54:07 AM
Zantetsuken, thanks a ton for the excellent examples and info. I simply love Russian coins.

Thanks 'Overlord', I'm glad you like them. Russian coins are very interesting indeed. I bought many of these before the market exploded and prices went throught ceiling. I have others (Siberian, Sadagura etc.) that I'll try to post later. I try to make my information as accurate as possible.

BC Numismatics

These are amazing coins that you have got there.

I did have examples of the 1913 1 Rouble & the 1917 15 Kopecks in my collection prior to 2006 when I sold off my non-British Commonwealth banknotes & coins.

The 1917 15 Kopecks is way underpriced & extremely underrated in Krause.

Aidan.

Zantetsuken

Quote from: BC Numismatics on October 25, 2009, 07:13:11 AM
These are amazing coins that you have got there.

I did have examples of the 1913 1 Rouble & the 1917 15 Kopecks in my collection prior to 2006 when I sold off my non-British Commonwealth banknotes & coins.

The 1917 15 Kopecks is way underpriced & extremely underrated in Krause.

Aidan.

Thanks 'BC Numismatics'. Your right, Krause's prices are underpriced for today's market, especially for Russian coins. Unfortunately, there aren't too many reference books readily available (in the United States at least) for Russian coins and notes.  I've got a few specialty books that deal with specific areas of the world that I got on Ebay that help alot, and Russia is one of them.

Prussian1

Its good to see you here Zantetsuken. Your knoweldge in coins and history will be of great help.
Prussian1

Figleaf

I have great interest in Russian coins. The type series is not too hard or expensive to complete if you forget about gold, platinum and commemoratives. There's the challenge of the lettering, which can be overcome (especially if you have dabbled in mathematics), but also some of the smallest and largest circulating coins in my collection.

Here is my latest purchase. It's harder to find, because it is a pretty useless denomination. In this period, the czars issued portrait coins of a rubel and fractions and generic silver coins from 5 to 20 kopeks. The whole series of Alexander III counts 13 different denominations plus gold. The edge says: 1 zolotnik 5,25 dolei pure silver.

Alexander's coins remind me of an old joke (sorry, it works only in German, Taten = Vater): Was ist der Unterschied zwischen Rothschild, Kaiser Wilhelm II und Zar Nikolaus II? Rothschild hatte einen reichen Taten, Kaiser Wilhelm einen tatenreichen Taten und der Zar einen attentatenreichen Taten...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

gxseries

Peter, I'm sorry but I doubt that your 1893 25 kopek is genuine. Doesn't look right.

andyg

I'm sorry to say that I agree with gxseries :-\
The writing is too thin/sharp IMO but it's hard to tell without seeing a genuine example to compare it with.

btw, gxseries welcome to the forum!

andyg

I can't find a picture of a genuine 25 Kopeks 1893, so I'm stuck comparing it to my 1896 (which hopefully is genuine??).  The writing on the 1893 sure looks different, the 'o' in Kopek is particularly odd.

ciscoins

Quote from: AJG on March 26, 2010, 05:44:50 PM
I can't find a picture of a genuine 25 Kopeks 1893

I think this one is genuine.
And this is UNC, but the pictures are very small.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Zantetsuken

Quote from: ciscoins on March 26, 2010, 08:16:48 PM
I think this one is genuine.
And this is UNC, but the pictures are very small.

Hi 'ciscoins', thanks for sharing your specimen. I'm not an expert, but your specimen looks alright, but then again I've never seen one myself. It's difficult to tell authenticity with photos or scanned images, because capturing the toning accurately is tough. Still, it's an interesting specimen.

~Daniel

andyg

Also on Peter's coin there is too big a gap between the top of the crown and the rim.

Hope you can take it back Peter?

Figleaf

I'm convinced it's bad. No way I can take it back, since I can't even remember who I bought it from. You live and learn.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

It happens to us all.
Drop your guard for one minute and bang! (I know I've done it myself)