Author Topic: Afsharids, 'Adil Shah or 'Ali Shah Afshar, 1160/1 AH, AR abbasi (4 Shahi),Tabriz  (Read 213 times)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Afsharids, 'Adil Shah or 'Ali Shah Afshar, 1160/1 AH, AR abbasi (4 Shahi), Tabriz mint (AH 1160-1161/1747-1748 AD)
Weight 4.58 gm
Diameter 22 mm
Metal Silver
Obverse: Couplet in Farsi, " گشت رايج به حكم لم يزلي \ سكه سلطنت بنام علی  ", Gast rayej be-hokm-e lam-yazli / sekka-ye sultanat be-nam-e 'Ali, meaning, "By order of the Eternal One, coins of the sultanate in the name of 'Ali have become current". The mint is at the bottom " Zarb Tabriz ضرب تبريز  " and the date is not visible.
Reverse: Shiite Kalima: " لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله  ", La ilah illa Allah / Muhammad rasul Allah ĎAli wali Allah, with the names of 12 Shiite Imams around in margin.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
What a beauty! The intricate detail is so clear it brought a big, mirror-breaking grin on my face. I find the slightly ex-centric strike attractive, as it makes it easier to imagine what the whole die must have looked like.

Maudry presented a coin a few days back with two flat spots. This coin also has one and it shows quite clearly that it's not a solder mark: it is ex-centric and as far as I can tell from the picture, it does not align with the opposite side in a correct angle. I have thought of a pin, but it looks too small to support one.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Peter, the flat spot is on one side only affecting the end letter " M م " of the word " benam بنام ", meaning, " in the name of " at 9 O'clock nearer to the center of the coin.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".