News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Identification request: Aq Qoyunlu 'White Sheep', Ya'qub

Started by Saikat, August 24, 2019, 12:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saikat

Hi,
Please can I have any attribution of the coin?
Wt : 5.15 gm
Dia: 18 mm
Thanks,
Saikat

saro

It's a mongol tanka of Aq Quyunlu dynasty (White Sheep)
"zarb Sultan al 'Adil Y'aqub .."   could be Jafar bin Y'aqub or Y'aqub bin Uzun Hasan.
Nice coin :perfect: which needs more investigation.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

Tried to look it up in  Mitchiner. Some findings:

Mitchiner lists many coins for Ya'qub ibn Uzun. Most are counterstamped. MWI 1823-1825 show the same decoration of a diamond made of moons, but the other side has a square, not a circle.

Mitchiner does not list any coins for Jafar bin Ya'qub. He does have some for Murad bin Ya'qub. They look quite different to me.

I am wondering about the knot (carpet beater) on this coin. It does not occur on any of the Ak Koyunlu coins Mitchiner shows.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Dear Saikat, your coin details:
Aq Qoyunlu ('White Sheep'), Ya'qub, Date?, AR Tanka, mint? (AH 883-896/1478-1490 AD)
Weight 5.15 gm
Diameter 18 mm
Metal Silver
Obverse, inside cartouche: السلطان العادل ابو المظفر يعقوب خلد الله ملكه  , al-Sultan al-'Adil Abu al-Muzaffar Kallad Allah Mulkahau, meaning,  al-Sultan, the just, the victorious Ya'qub may God prolong his reign. The margin shows the names of 4 orthodox caliphs around in margin:
(ابو بكر \ عمر \ عثمان \ علي), Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman and Ali "The Four Rightly Guided Caliphs in Islam".
Reverse, circle in center field reads: " فَمَنْ يَعْمَلْ مِثْقَالَ ذَرَّةٍ خَيْرًا يَرَهُ ", meaning, "whoever does an atom's weight of good will see it [rewarded]", from the Quran, Chapter 99 The earthquake سورة الزلزلة - Surah Al-Zalzala: Verse 7. One visible part of margin with " الله محمد  Allah Muhammad ", between number of knots (carpet beater). The margin could read " لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله , La Ilah illa Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah ".
Both mint and date are not visible.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

saro

Thank you Maythem ! What Y'aqub is the question...(Just add "al-'adl" in your translation)
السلطان العادل يعقوب خلد الله ملكه , al-Sultan al-'adl Ya'qub Kallad Allah Mulkahau.
It seems that there is something else between "Y'aqub" and "khald Allah" ??? which ends by "mar" or "far" ( end of "Jafar" ? )
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

aws22

Thank you Saro, I missed the word al-'Adil (the Just) in the English text. As for the word under Ya'qub, it is " ابو المظفر Abu al-Muzaffar", I have corrected the above text. Please refer to my post March 17, 2017:
Aq Qoyunlu, Ya'qub (Abu'l-Muzaffar), AR Tanka, Ani Mint (883-896 AH)

Maythem

Saikat

All,
Many thanks for the detailed attribution of the coin.
Saikat

Figleaf

You two are a jaw-dropping team. It is a joy to see you work together.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22