Author Topic: A new discovery- Alamgir ii Surat  (Read 99 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
A new discovery- Alamgir ii Surat
« on: July 13, 2019, 09:14:10 PM »
Hi,
New discoveries always is a driving force for being in the hunt. So here is one that is not reported yet to the best of my knowledge. The silver coin is well known and scarce but coppers were not known.
Obverse - Alamgir Badshah ghazi.
Reverse - Zarb Surat.
The coin can be attributed under the Nawab of Surat. The weight of the coin is 16.9gms. The coin is definitely attributed to Alamgir ii as Alamgir I (Aurangzeb) coins are known in two legend variants of Julus mubarak and Aurangzeb shahi, while Alamgir ii coins are known with badshah ghazi legend. The weight is also typical of Alamgir ii coins of shahjahanabad and doab areas while Alamgir I coins comes in 20gms and 14gms approx. Lastly the calligraphy is unlike the copper coins of Alamgir I.
Cheers
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: A new discovery- Alamgir ii Surat
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 09:31:49 PM »
You answered my question before I could ask it. Good arguments for attributing this discovery coin to Alamgir II, though the weight seems to be a bit lightish. The missing 3 grams could be worn off, of course, but they represent a weight loss of 15% and the coin doesn't look particularly worn. Are there signs of a sliver of metal that has broken off on the edge, perhaps?

Readers of this thread who are interested in such discovery coins, abhinumis has donated an article on another one, A new coin of Sultan Burhan Nizam Shah - Murtazabad, to WoC. It can be found on the WoC bookshelf. Help yourself and have fun.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline sarwar khan

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 04:12:25 AM »
Hi,
New discoveries always is a driving force for being in the hunt. So here is one that is not reported yet to the best of my knowledge. The silver coin is well known and scarce but coppers were not known.
Obverse - Alamgir Badshah ghazi.
Reverse - Zarb Surat.
The coin can be attributed under the Nawab of Surat. The weight of the coin is 16.9gms. The coin is definitely attributed to Alamgir ii as Alamgir I (Aurangzeb) coins are known in two legend variants of Julus mubarak and Aurangzeb shahi, while Alamgir ii coins are known with badshah ghazi legend. The weight is also typical of Alamgir ii coins of shahjahanabad and doab areas while Alamgir I coins comes in 20gms and 14gms approx. Lastly the calligraphy is unlike the copper coins of Alamgir I.
Cheers
Abhinumis sir I think this is issue under the Authority of the Nawab of surat

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 02:37:57 PM »
I have already mentioned it Sarwar and that is the reason it is rare!!
Dr.Abhishek

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 07:13:30 PM »
on further research it is clear that the coin was minted in the reign of Nawab Mir Safdar Muhammad Khan Bahadur (1747-1748 & 1750-1758).
Dr.Abhishek

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 07:46:18 AM »
You answered my question before I could ask it. Good arguments for attributing this discovery coin to Alamgir II, though the weight seems to be a bit lightish. The missing 3 grams could be worn off, of course, but they represent a weight loss of 15% and the coin doesn't look particularly worn. Are there signs of a sliver of metal that has broken off on the edge, perhaps?

Readers of this thread who are interested in such discovery coins, abhinumis has donated an article on another one, A new coin of Sultan Burhan Nizam Shah - Murtazabad, to WoC. It can be found on the WoC bookshelf. Help yourself and have fun.

Peter
Hi Peter, on closely inspecting the coin, I think the obverse legend is "Badshah ghazi Alamgir thani" meaning emperor Alamgir second. So the coin itself says that the ruler is Alamgir ii. So not much to prove either .
Dr.Abhishek