News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Ireland 2023

Started by Angus, May 17, 2023, 11:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

I have just seen that Ireland is planning to issue a commemorative coin next month to mark 50 years of EU membership.  They don't issue them very often!

chrisild

Thanks, sounds good! :) So far, Ireland has always issued such pieces for circulation too, not just a couple of surcharged pieces for collectors. Hope they will do that again ...

brandm24

Are there any images of the new coin yet?

Bruce
Always Faithful

chrisild

Not yet. In a German forum (emuenzen.de) I just read this info: "In June this year we will issue 500,000 €2 commemorative coins into general circulation to mark 50 years since Ireland joined the EU." Another 1,000 proof pieces will be in the annual coin set. But I have not seen the design anywhere so far.

Bimat

Many of the Irish collector coins indeed have very nice designs... not so with their €2 commemorative coins (there aren't many!)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

eurocoin

The design of the coin. Unfortunately rather boring.

Ireland 2 euro 2023 EU membership.jpg

chrisild

Such abstract themes are always more difficult than the birth or death anniversary of a person. And, hehe, the design has been known for almost a year and half. ;D

OK, not really. But this video was published on 22 January 2022, and it shows the anniversary logo. The only differences (as far as I can tell) are that the logo on the coin is not colored – absolutely fine with me – and that the English word "Ireland" gets replaced by the country name in Irish which is always used on the coins.

Bimat

That's a beautiful design indeed! ;D  ;D

Reminds me of French €2 commemorative of 2008 - perhaps by far the worst French €2 "design"...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

brandm24

I like it but it's rather plain. I'd expect more from such an important issue.

Bruce
Always Faithful