Author Topic: The Pishkinids of North-Western Iran  (Read 202 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
The Pishkinids of North-Western Iran
« on: May 24, 2019, 12:29:26 AM »
Here's a nice coin from the short-lived dynasty of the Pishkinids, apparently a Georgian dynasty reigning from 1155-1231 AD in the city of Ahar in Eastern Azerbaijan, to the south of the Caspian Sea. I like the thick bronze fabric of this dirham.

AE dirham Pishkinids. Pishkin II about 591-601 AH. Mint Ahar, 591 AH (=1195 AD). 27-28 mm, 15.73 gr.

-- Paul

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:15:40 PM by THCoins »

Offline britanico

Re: The Pishkinids of North-Western Iran
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 04:36:34 AM »
Paul:

I don't know anything about these but that's a lovely coin with a very good style. The reverse design is so well balanced with the legend within concentric rings and devices on either side (the rings and symmetrical layout reminded me of those later Sasanian drachm reverses). The celator knew his/her stuff.

Thanks for posting it, it's stimulated me to find out more about them.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 11:26:32 AM »
Agreed. Amazingly nice and well preserved with the whole die on the flan. I think I see the Kalimah, but would like to hear more about the other texts. Wiki notes: The last two dynasts of the family issued their own coins, placing their names next to those of the Caliph and Eldiguzid atabeg.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 12:06:15 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, I now understand that the Pishkinids were a petty dynasty of a province of Azerbaidjan, but a lucky land that functioned as a resort for the Mongolian court for a while and other magnates after them.

The style of this coin is somewhere in-between the Artuqid-Zengid thick bronze dirhams and the slender and elegant Central Asian broad dirhams, like this one from the Qarakhanids. @britanico, these types are well worth a study.

-- Paul