News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Qajar, Fath 'Ali Shah, AH 1241/1825 AD, AR Qiran, dar al-Nashat Urumiyeh mint

Started by aws22, May 02, 2019, 07:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aws22

Qajar, Fath 'Ali Shah, AH 1241/1825 AD, AR Qiran (Kran), dar al-Nashat Urumiyeh mint, KM 710 (type E)(AH 1212-1250/1797-1834 AD)
Weight: 6.87 gm (Type E was minted at 6.91 gr, standard weight from 1240 to 1250 AH).
Diameter: 19-21 mm
Metal: Silver
Obverse, inside a decorated circle written in Farsi: " سکه فتحعلی شه خسرو صاحبقران ", Fath 'Ali Shah Qajar Khusro-ve Sahepqeran, meaning: "Fath 'Ali Shah Qajar, Caesar, Sahebqeran (i.e. Possessor of an auspicious conjunction)".
Reverse: Mint place and date inside decorated circles: " ضرب  دار النشاط  اُرومي سنه  ۱۲۴۱ ", struck at dar al-Nashat Urumi, the date is " 1241 ۱۲۴۱ " above the word " Sanah سنه ". Dar al-Nashat  " دار النشاط " means "abode of vitality".
Urumi, Urumiyeh, " اُرومیّه " was known as Reza'eya " رضائیه " under Pahlavis. The date of this coin is the start of the last Iran/Russia war. 
Very rare mint and date!

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

saro

Quote from: aws22 on May 02, 2019, 07:31:12 PM
" ضرب  دار النشاط  اُرومي سنه  ۱۲۴۱ ", struck at dar al-Nashat Urumi,
Fath 'Ali has given an uncredible number of epithets to his mints, this one is not at all common; but for this coin one needs to be aware of its existence as it isn't really readable... ;)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

aws22

Thank you Saro, I worked hard on this coin looking at Iranian references on dar al-Nashat Urumi, the coin is genuine which I have bought as part of several Karim Zand and Safavid coins, such coins are not sold through a coin dealer but they are found in demolished houses or as part of inheritance; please see this link for a similar coin with same details:
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/cyrus_coins/28/product/item_35177_qajar_iranian_dynasty_fathali_shah_ah_12121250_silver_qiran_urumi_mint_1241ah_album_2894km710_type_e_very_rare_mint_and_date/73582/Default.aspx

Maythem

saro

Yes Maythem, I had seen this 2nd coin and I have to say that I'm not more able to see something else than "zarb (barely readable except a part of the " ب") Urumi. May be the epithet is in the upper part ?
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

aws22

Thank you Saro, the upper part epithet should read " abode of xxxx ", by searching through Iranian references to look for " Distinguishing Epithets of mint towns ", I found " dar al-Nashat دار النشاط " is related to the town of " Urumi أرومي ", so I expected the upper part of the reverse should have this epithet. It was my guess and I know it is not visible.

Maythem