Author Topic: Cambay Region counter stamped paisa coin ,  (Read 78 times)

Offline sarwar khan

Cambay Region counter stamped paisa coin ,
« on: April 17, 2019, 03:30:01 PM »
Year -18th Century,
Denomination - Paisa,
Weigh - 10.08 gram
Obv: Counter mark of Trishul (Trident)
Rev: Counter mark of english Alphabet " P "
Condition - Very fine both counter marks cg clearly seen

This mark are counter stamped on shah alam 2nd mint probably ahmedabad

According to Dr. Sailen Bhandare, This is an unattributed coin from the Gulf of Cambay region - coins like this bearing small countermarks were struck there in early 18th century and mintmarks show links with the Nawabs of Cambay, Bhaunagar, Gaikwads of Baroda and EIC. Various countermarks that come to my mind in this series are:
letters - Nagari letters Shri, Baa, Ga, Ja, Pa, 'Shri Saav/Savva'; English letters 'P ' 'E', 'B', 'GB'; Farsi word 'Shah'
weapons - battle-axe, small sword/dagger, trisul
other marks - small crescent, circle with a dot, small dot

Any further comments, information, clarity etc is welcome.

Regards
Muhammad sarwar khan
Jabalpur
Madhya pradesh

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Cambay Region counter stamped paisa coin ,
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 11:26:38 AM »
Really difficult to add anything as the coins are not very informative. You'd need documentary evidence, therefore research on the spot. My first hunch was that they had to do with piracy. That proved wrong, as the pirate ports were South of Surat, which makes sense, in view of the trade route. My second guess was fisheries. Hard to prove or disprove, but there is ample precedent, ranging from Persian coastal port issues found in Indonesia to fishhook money.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:45:42 AM »
I have similar types, also attributed by Shailen, one of mine has 'GB'  thought to be Gogo Bandar a port on the coast in Cambay area
Vic

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 02:21:11 PM »
I have similar types, also attributed by Shailen, one of mine has 'GB'  thought to be Gogo Bandar a port on the coast in Cambay area
Though Shailen attributes these to Cambay / Cambay region, the actual find spots for a majority of these counter marked coins is a little bit more inland - along the tribal belt of the Gujarat - Madhya Pradesh border and a bit inland. Op!um cultivation would explain the existence of these in that area.

At about this same time Cambay had the 'Shah' marked paisa so it would not make sense to have a parallel currency. Radhanpur, a little north too had their own 'Bi' & 'Ji' coinage. Bharuch did not have any copper.......... My opinion (it is worth anything) is that it would be coming from an area which did not have copper coins and needed them - only Barter or Cowries / Bitter Almonds may not have been accepted.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"