Author Topic: a sample plastic token  (Read 5566 times)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
a sample plastic token
« on: October 15, 2009, 09:37:23 PM »
Another token a little out of the ordinary, again an "advertiser".

Apart from the metallic ones you may have seen British Transport tokens in plastic or older ones in celluloid (or similar) - some from the 1970s/1980s (possibly later) can found in plastic with letter-shaped slots. This is a sample piece from of the maker of such pieces. C.A. Grant & Co., Trinity Street, Sheffield. "SY" must be for "South Yorkshire". It seems that the company these days is this one...

http://www.grantmarking.com/

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: a sample plastic token
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 02:49:34 PM »
I had several sample pieces from C.A. Grant & Co., Trinity Street, Sheffield. but now sold; I kept this image...

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:06:39 AM by Niels »
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 03:25:26 PM »
If SY does mean South Yorkshire, that helps to date it. South Yorkshire didn't exist before 1974.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »
Could also be Sheffield, Yorks.
Malcolm

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 05:32:54 PM »
Good catch, Paul! It looks like this one was made to test automatic equipment or for training purposes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:18:57 AM »
The mention, on the slotted piece, of the large range of available shapes, colours and sizes....  tell me this sample piece was just that and not about teaching or testing machines... Also if you want to be putting tokens into slots you really need metallic ones....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 01:06:58 AM »
Not necessarily, Paul. All Russian undergrounds are now equipped with machines that take plastic tokens. I also took it for an advertising token at first. What got me doubting is the SY shaped holes. Expensive and not necessary for advertising. However, they are very useful for talking to (prospective) clients as a demonstration of a security feature.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 01:38:31 AM »
I had several sample pieces from C.A. Grant & Co., Trinity Street, Sheffield. but now sold; I kept this image...

These pieces were all definite manufacturers samples with C A Grant one side and suitable anonymous suggested legends on the other such as co-op etc.
more information is shown here..

http://www.plastictokens.co.uk/
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:09:49 AM by Niels »
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 02:45:45 AM »
I have found the information I kept regarding the legends on these sample tokens above from C A Grant & Co [but no sizes]

The web site given above is well worth another visit as it is greatly updated and also this page gives further information.

C A Grant & Co Sheffield Rev. Arms round gold plastic
C A Grant & Co Sheffield Rev. Co-operative Society Limited round pink plastic.
C A Grant & Co Sheffield Rev. Co-operative Society Limited Large loaf oct. pink plastic
C A Grant & Co Sheffield Rev. City Libraries hex. yellow plastic.
C A Grant & Co Sheffield Rev. 3 New Pence triang. blue plastic
C A Grant & Co Sheffield Rev. 4 New Pence square yellow plastic
C A Grant & Co Sheffield Rev. 5 New Pence polygon Green plastic
C A Grant & Co Trinity St Sheffield Rev. Council Pensioners Free Travel oblong yellow plastic

[Plasticman now owns these]  ;D
Malcolm

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 12:31:48 PM »
Thanks, Malcolm. This answers some questions. It is clear from your list that Collin Grant did not hesitate to advertise his company on one side of the token (this option seems to be offered no longer), as we can safely assume that the company was neither a co-op, nor a library. The last token in your list is definitely a bus token, yet it contains the C A Grant ad.

To me, that means that the first token shown in this thread could be a bus token also. South Yorkshire did exist after the 1974 reforms and the pierced through letters were commonly used by bus companies in this period.

Maybe Plasticman (if he has one) or Paul can advise us on the likely time frame of this token, judging by its material, production method and maybe colour? After all, If the Soviet Union could produce plastic transportation tokens with an ad, why not a UK transportation token with an ad?

Peter

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 12:48:18 PM »
None of them are genuine tokens. They came as a set of samples from C A Grant & Co., of suggested designs that could be used with various types, colours and shapes shown.

They were probably carried around a by a travelling sales Representative. Perhaps even freely given out at that time.

The link I gave above has a slideshow of other sample tokens typical of those they are making today for various companies. The page has C A Grant Ltd at the bottom.

See this token captured from the first page of the slideshow.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:58:27 PM by malj1 »
Malcolm

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 10:42:06 PM »
Peter, can you cite USSR fare tokens with advertising? I've never seen any.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 11:17:53 PM »
Older tokens of the Tashkent metro are marked СРЕДАЗЭЛЕКТРОАППАРАТ. Elektroapparat is a large local enterprise. Older tokens of Kiev advertise БАНК АВАЛЬ (Bank Aval, see attachment.)

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 11:24:33 PM »
I believe these are post 1991, the date of Ukraine independence Therefore not Soviet Union.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 11:33:03 PM »
Yes. Scribing the town in Ukrainian language (Kiiv instead of Kiev) would bring you a cheap ticket to the "Arkhipelag Gulag" in the times of the Soviet Union.