Author Topic: Kashmir Kshema Gupta sole legend  (Read 63 times)

Offline Spaniard

Kashmir Kshema Gupta sole legend
« on: March 17, 2019, 01:35:23 PM »
Here is a slightly scarcer coin...With only the kings legend...
The more common Di Kshemagupta coins show reference to his queen Didda Rani..Would I be right in assuming that these coins were probably minted in his first year of rule before his infatuation with his queen took hold?
Kshemagupta (Possibly minted in his first year of rule as his queens name is not mentioned)
Copper Kaserah or Punchshi 18mm / 5.74gr
Obverse- Goddess Ardochsho/Lakshmi seated facing in half lotus position, with Nagari legend 'kshema' to right
Reverse- King standing facing and sacrificing at altar holding trident, with Nagari legend 'Gupta' bottom right

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Kashmir Kshema Gupta sole legend
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 02:52:31 PM »
Yes i would think that this was minted in the beginning of his reign. No idea during how long a period though.
The text on the standing king side is intrigueing. It looks like both legs of the "Ga" have fused at the bottom. Therefore it becomes difficult to say whether this is indeed the "Gu" or already the "Pta" with the character after this the left part of "De(va)".
compare with this one.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:31:02 PM by THCoins »

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 05:43:38 PM »
As far as I can tell TH...
The sole reign legend goddess side reads...'Kshe ma Gu' and the kings side reads 'pta Deva'...
The joint reign goddess side reads............ 'Di   Kshema' and the kings side reads 'Gupta Deva'...
Here is another sole reign coin that I think clearly shows the 'Gu' linked to the 'Kshema' on the goddess side with the 'pta' on the kings side....Would you agree?

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »
Yes, that's what i thought based on your openingpost coin.