Author Topic: Alphabet 10p series 2019  (Read 1122 times)

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Alphabet 10p series 2019
« on: January 07, 2019, 08:23:21 AM »
According to several reports of people who were on the tours at the Royal Mint Experience, they were being shown the production of a new Alphabet 10p series.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
Re: Alphabet 10p series 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 08:24:42 AM »
Please no...

Offline Deeman

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 11:43:02 AM »
Are these the 2018 designs (for which I have never see one in circulation) to be dated 2019 or are we to be introduced to a new set of topics?

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 01:18:32 PM »
The designs will be the same as on the series issued last year. Only the date has been changed.

Offline Dimi164

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 02:48:20 PM »
I have been following the boards for quite some time and finally joined! Thank you very much Eurocoins for all the information you provide not only on this forum but across all Uk decimal coins and concerning all matters. Am I right in thinking this is the first time the Royal Mint the same coins two years in a row (due to low mintage figures?) and is this a strategy we could see more often going forward?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Alphabet 10p series 2019
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 03:19:32 PM »
So in strict sense, these are not even commemorative coins. ;D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 03:52:42 PM »
I have been following the boards for quite some time and finally joined! Thank you very much Eurocoins for all the information you provide not only on this forum but across all Uk decimal coins and concerning all matters. Am I right in thinking this is the first time the Royal Mint the same coins two years in a row (due to low mintage figures?) and is this a strategy we could see more often going forward?

Welcome on World of Coins Forum, Dimi! Thank you for your kind message. I am glad you like the things I write. I think you are right in saying that this is the first time the Royal Mint minted coins in several years because of an initial lack of demand causing them to have so far not circulated properly because of which people for example struggled greatly to fill their A-Z coin hunt folders. The Royal Mint could have just postponed the idea until there was sufficient demand for 10p coins to start with, but instead their new CEO (whose personal idea the Alphabet 10p series was) wanted it to be issued in 2018 already.

I think this new strategy of issuing commemorative coins in several years because of a lack of demand will be limited to coins that are not related to a commemoration in a specific year. Although they have in the past also minted certain commemorative coins in several years that were tied to a specific year, the coin bearing the date past the commemoration was so far always issued for sets only and I do not think they will change that. An example of this is the Newton 50p which commemorated the 375th anniversary of his birth in 2017 that the Royal Mint issued into circulation. Because of its popularity it was also minted with the 2018 date as a Strike Your Own coin in sets only.

Offline Dimi164

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 04:00:32 PM »
Thank you Sir for the reply and kind words. I appreciate your insight and it seems as if the lack of patience of this new CEO has somewhat messed up the series project. I agree that it has been a real struggle this year to find any 10p coins but what is to say next year's batch will be any better if demand doesn't improve?

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 09:04:43 AM »
So in strict sense, these are not even commemorative coins. ;D

They're not commemorative in any sense - they're not commemorating anything  ;D

In stamp collecting, people draw a distinction between "definitives" (standard designs that are used for a long time, usually fairly utilitarian and covering a wide range of denominations), "commemoratives" (issued to commemorate a particular event or anniversary) and "pictorials" (themed stamps with a limited issue period but without any specific reason to issue that particular subject just then).

For me the Alphabet series, the State Quarters, the German €2 Bundesländer series and so on are the equivalent of pictorials.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 11:19:43 AM »
And the UK round pounds up to 2007.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 12:07:09 PM »
Yes, those too - completely forgot about them!  :o

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 06:45:45 PM »
And the UK round pounds up to 2007.
Even more so with those, as only one design was issued per year.  Got a bit muddier after 2007 when there were sometimes three different £1 coins issued, but they were always coins to represent each part of the UK, never commemoratives.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 09:03:06 PM »
For me the Alphabet series, the State Quarters, the German €2 Bundesländer series and so on are the equivalent of pictorials.

Strictly speaking, the Länder series coins from Germany are commemorative pieces. Each coin commemorates the Bundesrat presidency of the depicted state. Between 1-Nov-2017 and 31-Oct-2018 Berlin had the presidency, and the 2018 Berlin coin corresponds to that. Currently it is Schleswig-Holstein again; the order depends on the population of the state, and was recently changed. However, SH already had "its" €2 commem, so this year we will have the Bundesrat (70th anniversary) coin instead.

The commemorative character may not be very obvious ;) but there is one. Sorry for interrupting this UK topic, hehe.

Christian

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 09:17:42 PM »
Ah, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info  :)

Offline quaziright

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 09:43:33 PM »
They're not commemorative in any sense - they're not commemorating anything  ;D

In stamp collecting, people draw a distinction between "definitives" (standard designs that are used for a long time, usually fairly utilitarian and covering a wide range of denominations), "commemoratives" (issued to commemorate a particular event or anniversary) and "pictorials" (themed stamps with a limited issue period but without any specific reason to issue that particular subject just then).

I've never thought of Pictorials because they're not so common in general. However, it makes sense for the Austrian 3euro and 25euro collector coins. I was thinking about the Canadian millennium quarters series of 1999-2000. While they were timed with the turn of the century, the month-wise coins don't really commemorate anything. 

On the US series, technically the first series between 1999-2008 commemorate the addition of each state to the Union and issued it in that order. Its a similar case for the America the Beautiful National state Parks. But I take your point they don't actually commemorate the date of accession to the Union. On a side note, it appears in wikipedia that the govt earned $3B through seigniorage by people taking these quarters out of circulation and an additional $156M through collector sales

And then you have the Presidents and American Innovators $1 series which again stand on equally dubious footing.