Author Topic: Three Rabbits  (Read 211 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Three Rabbits
« on: October 16, 2018, 12:32:36 AM »
Just bought a third Qarakhanid rabbit, hoping to find a Best Coin that makes all others superfluous.
But no. This happened before - few Qarakhanid coins are identical.

There are a few Qarakhanid copper coins with animals, some of these famous on World of Coins - the dog or lion on a chain. Then there's the fish (or coelacanth), and the feline (cheetah or snow leopard), and we treated the rabbit as well. The elephant has not been shown here so far.

As it turns out, two of the coins are more or less the same, but the one I'm describing today is much smaller and lighter, and it doesn't have an octagon around the animal, but a circle. Here are pics, the quality is not too good but I will try to make better ones some time.

Nr. 1: AE fals Qarakhanids. Tunket 407H/ 1016-1017 AD. Adud al-Dawla Chaghry-tegin Husayn b. Hasan (1013-1027). Obv. Rabbit running to the left under a star, its legs almost horizontal. Under it, an unclear animal. Together in an octagon with the nether three sides a bit shorter. Around it, calligraphy that matches the eight sides. Rev. 3 lines in pearl circle. 25.5 mm, 2.20 gr. Album 3354. Zeno #17361 and #77330, where the animal is considered a hare.
Nr. 2: Idem. Centres of the coin almost invisible. 25.5 mm, 1.84 gr.
Nr. 3: Obv. Rabbit running to the left under a star, its legs much more at an angle. Under it, an unclear animal: a snake? or a tamgha, or just a flourish. Together in a circle. Around it, calligraphy. Rev. 3 lines in a circle. 21.5 mm, 1.41 gr.

-- Paul

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 10:29:03 AM by THCoins »

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Re: Three Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 08:20:45 AM »
Here is a better pic, a scan of my new acquisition, nr. 3 from the coins above.

-- Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 10:06:08 PM »
Your Qarakhanid zoo is great fun indeed, Pellinore. With each coin I see, my appreciation of the Qarakhanid culture increases. At this time in history, they seem to beat not only their contemporaries in refinement, knowledge and tolerance, but also a good many of their successors. I just wish their coins were a bit easier to read. Amazing, that we know so little about them.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
Your last photo does convey the beauty of the coin much better than your previous trio picture !