News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Modifications to the obverses and reverses of the 1, 2 and 5 euro cent coins

Started by FosseWay, August 27, 2018, 03:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

I have attached below images of the old reverses (left) and new reverses (right) so you can from now on see yourself if a coin has the old or new reverse. You have to look at the figure of the denomination. All pointed corners of the figure have been made round on the ones with the new reverse.

FosseWay

Pabitra

Quote from: FosseWay on May 28, 2019, 07:56:47 AM
Aha, OK, thanks  :)

In that case, Pabitra, can you show the reverse of one of your 2019 1 cent coins alongside an earlier one?

Hope Eurocoin's reply has answered your query.

andyg

this would seem to be the two versions of the Spanish 1 ct?

The coin on the right is in higher relief than the coin on left.  I've only found low relief coins for 2018.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Rasmus

Seems Slovakkian Kremnica Mint haven't changed, as at my view in Estonian 1c 2019 one looks like old style.
Here, left is 2012 and right 2019 1 cent.

Rasmus

Pabitra

I believe the reason for using old design is cost.
If the annual mintage is small, single die is adequate.

If, like in Germany, the mintage is large then several dies crack during the minting. Redesign of coin with softer rounding and edges on the numerals, prolongs the life of die in use.

Globetrotter

chrisild

Those minor design modifications on the German 1, 2 and 5 cent coins were made in order to reduce the production cost. This Q&A in a coin magazine is about the 2 ct piece, see "Neue deutsche 2-Cent-Variante". Apparently the pieces from Karlsruhe (G) were changed first; the other mints and denominations followed a little later.

Whether that justifies different KM numbers, I do not know. Apparently the Numista and Schön numbers are the same for the "old" and the "new" types.

eurocoin

Following a lot of research I made a full overview of which country used which reverse on which coins. In the process I found 5 so far unknown variants. A similar initiative had been done years ago on a German forum, but I found that was riddled with mistakes and no longer being updated. So I decided to start from scratch. A comparison of the 2 reverses can be found here.

The legend of the grid is as follows:

O means minted with old reverse,
N means minted with new reverse,
O/N means that the coin exists with both old and new reverse,
- means that the coin does not exist.

As can be seen, in total there are 12 coins that exist with both old and new reverse (O/N). Of the following 7 coins both variants were minted for circulation:

Austria 2 cent 2017
Austria 1 cent 2018
Austria 5 cent 2018
France 2 cent 2018
Spain 1 cent 2018
Spain 2 cent 2018
Spain 5 cent 2018

Of the following 5 coins only one of the variants was minted for circulation and the other was only released in sets:

Austria 2 cent 2018: Old reverse in sets only, new reverse minted for circulation
Slovakia 1 cent 2019: Old reverse in sets only, new reverse minted for circulation
Slovenia 1 cent 2018: Old reverse minted for circulation, new reverse in sets only
Slovenia 2 cent 2018: Old reverse minted for circulation, new reverse in sets only
Slovenia 5 cent 2019: Old reverse minted for circulation, new reverse in sets only

Globetrotter

slovenia

Globetrotter

Angus

Quote from: eurocoin on February 11, 2023, 09:01:14 PMFollowing a lot of research I made a full overview of which country used which reverse on which coins. In the process I found 5 so far unknown variants. A similar initiative had been done years ago on a German forum, but I found that was riddled with mistakes and no longer being updated. So I decided to start from scratch. A comparison of the 2 reverses can be found here.

Austria 2 cent 2017
Austria 1 cent 2018
Austria 5 cent 2018
France 2 cent 2018
Spain 1 cent 2018
Spain 2 cent 2018
Spain 5 cent 2018

Very interesting, thanks.  Of the seven with both in circulation, what version is in the BU sets?

eurocoin

Quote from: Angus on February 12, 2023, 03:18:35 PMVery interesting, thanks.  Of the seven with both in circulation, what version is in the BU sets?

I am glad that you find it of interest. In all of these 7 cases it is the version with the old reverse that is in the BU sets.