Author Topic: Zangids of Mosul, Luíluíids, Badr al-Din Luíluí, 631 AH, Dirham, al-Mosul mint  (Read 203 times)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Zangids of Mosul, Luíluíids, Badr al-Din Luíluí, 631 AH, Dirham, al-Mosul mint (631-656 AH)(1233-1258 AD)
Weight 5.33 gm
Diameter 24 mm
Metal Copper
Obverse: In beaded square, diademed head in profile facing left, hair in ringlets, eight-pointed star in bottom left corner;
Margin: From right side anticlockwise:   ضربالمو \ صل سنه \ احد وثلثين \ وستمائه  (Struck in al-Mo/ sul year/ one and thirty/ and sixhundred).
Reverse: In Naskh script, in center - ﺍﻻﻣﺎﻡ ﺍﻟﻤﺴﺘﻨﺼﺮ بالله ﺍﻣﻴﺮﺍﻟﻤﺆﻣﻨﻴﻦ (The Imam, al-Mustansir be Allah, Commander of the Faithful);
Margin: ﺑﺪﺮ ﺍﻟﺪﻧﻴﺎ ﻭﺍﻟﺪﻳﻦ لؤلؤ ﺍﻟﻤﻠﻚ ﺍﻟﻜﺎﻣﻞ ﺍﻟﻤﻠﻚ ﺍﻻﺷﺮﻑ (Resplendent Moon of the World and the Faith, LuĎluĎ, the Perfect King, the Honored King)
Badr al-Din Lu'lu' (died 1259) was successor to the Zangid rulers of Mosul, where he governed in variety of capacities for half a century. He was the first Mamluk to transcend servitude and become Sultan in his own right.
The meaning of the word " Lu'lu' لؤلؤ " in Arabic is "Pearl".

Maythem
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:29:17 PM by THCoins »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Thanks for showing this one ! Very characteristic style of coin. It has parallels with the Zangid types, but immediately recognizeable as as separate style.
In your specimen thead looks a bit like an alien, gives it a bit spooky look. I had not realized the rule of this commander had been that long.
Thanks for the full transcription, helps practicing my still minor knowledge of the Arabic scripts !

Anthony

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Anthony, the words in Kufi Arabic were clear to me and I projected them as I saw them. This is shown clearly in the word " Al-Mosul الموصل " it was split in half and each half was written on different side of the portrait.
In July 9, 2016 I have posted a coin belonging to Zengids Atabegs of Mosul and you did make a comment on that.
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,35859.msg226811.html#msg226811

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Well previously i limited my focus on the pictorial fulus from before the year 1200AD. The coins you showed again tempted me to expand my view a bit !