Author Topic: Rare half pagoda from Nayakas of Chitradurga  (Read 109 times)

Offline gsrctr

Rare half pagoda from Nayakas of Chitradurga
« on: August 03, 2018, 01:17:28 AM »
It is really tough to find a rare coin in mint state. This is one of the exceptions, that I recently acquired. The only other specimen I have seen is from a cngcoins auction (https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=322371). From that description:

INDIA, Medieval (Eastern Deccan). Nayakas of Chitradurga. temp. Madakeri Nayaka I to Kasturi Rangappa Nayaka. 1509-1529. AV Half Pagoda (10mm, 1.68 g, 12h). In the name and types of Krishnadevaraya of Vijayanagar. Balakrishna seated facing; chakra to left, śankha to right / śri pra/tapa krishna/raya in Devanagari script. Mitchiner, South I, 881 note; MNI 937-9

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Rare half pagoda from Nayakas of Chitradurga
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 12:44:20 AM »
Very nice coin indeed. We have some pagodas on WoC, but I have not found a half. My favourite thread - in spite of the dead links - is this one.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gsrctr

Re: Rare half pagoda from Nayakas of Chitradurga
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 03:03:07 AM »
Thanks for the link, Peter.

The Chitradurga Nayakas ruled for more than 250 years, from mid 1500's. The durgi pagodas were towards the end, probably late 17th century. The pagodas towards the beginning were copies of Vijayanagar Krishnadevaraya's pagodas. In fact, I believe many of the pagodas ascribed to Krishnadevaraya are actually by Chitradurga Nayakas. For example, one full pagoda I have in my collection (below - attributed to Krishnadevaraya by a top TPG), is a clear relative of this half pagoda!

Pagodas of Chitradurga (I have six different varieties, and have seen a few more) are quite common. However, the half pagoda seems to be quite rare.