Author Topic: Egypt 1 Pound (2005) Tutankhamen burial mask - Bimetallic  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Egypt 1 Pound (2005) Tutankhamen burial mask - Bimetallic
« on: March 09, 2008, 09:51:13 PM »
As a counterpoint, here's a newly issued pound from Egypt, featuring the mask of Tut-ankh-amon. As it's shiny, it doesn't scan well. Outer part is white metal possibly cupro-nickel, central part is brass. I think the wreath are Nile lotuses. Can anyone confirm?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Re: Egypt 1 Pound (2005) Tutankhamen burial mask - Bimetallic
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 01:06:09 AM »
As a counterpoint, here's a newly issued pound from Egypt, featuring the mask of Tut-ankh-amon. As it's shiny, it doesn't scan well. Outer part is white metal possibly cupro-nickel, central part is brass. I think the wreath are Nile lotuses. Can anyone confirm?

Peter

Peter,can you please post a photo of the reverse as well? King Tutankhamen was the most famous ancient Egyptian monarch after King Rameses II,King Ptolemy I,Queen Cleopatra VII,& King Ptolemy XV (Caesarion).

Aidan.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 03:24:39 AM »
Not that it is important but I would say in the layman's view and in the US, Tut is by far the most famous.

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 08:36:04 AM »
Here you are, Aidan. Sorry for the colour differences. I forgot how I corrected the obverse scan. This one is better corrected anyway :P

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 08:47:11 AM »
Here you are, Aidan. Sorry for the colour differences. I forgot how I corrected the obverse scan. This one is better corrected anyway :P

Peter

Peter,
  That's a very nice AH1426 (2005) 1 Pound coin you've picked up.

Aidan.

Offline $$

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 09:26:24 AM »
Help to identify

Samir
S
  S
     S

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 09:26:56 AM »
Egypt 1 Pound.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »
Dated 2005 AD (at 8 o'clock) and 1426 AH (at 4 o'clock), KM 940.

The main design element is the death mask of pharaoh Tut Ankh Amun, now in the national museum in Cairo and a very important tourist attraction.

Peter

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »
Recently got this coin as gift from friend .

km940  Egyptian -1 Pound (2005) Tutankhamen burial mask

1 Pound bimetallic  coin series started from 2005 - 2007 -2008 -2010

The death mask of Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun is made of gold inlaid with colored glass and semiprecious stone. The mask comes from the innermost mummy case in the pharaoh's tomb, and stands 54 cm (21 in) high and weighs around 11kg.
The pharaoh is portrayed in a classical manner, with a ceremonial beard, a broad collar formed of twelve concentric rows consisting of inlays of turquoise, lapis lazuli, cornelian and amazonite. The traditional nemes head-dress has yellow stripes of solid gold broken by bands of glass paste, coloured dark blue. On the forehead of the mask are a royal uraeus and a vulture's head, symbols of the two tutelary deities of Lower and Upper Egypt: Wadjet and Nekhbet. Above his perfect golden cheeks, Tutankhamen has blue petals of lapis lazuli in imitation of the kohl make-up he would have worn in life.

Cheers ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:26:14 PM by aan09 »
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 02:57:43 PM »
Could be a light effect, but the mask on the coin looks "wider" than the actual mask. Still a neat piece!

By the way, his mask - well, a replica, and about 1000 other replicas from that period - can currently (until 1 Sep) be visited in Paris. http://www.toutankhamon-expo.fr/  The expo will then (Sep 2012 until Feb 2013) be in Malmö. http://www.tutankhamun.nu/  Not the real thing of course, but they have really a nice job in terms of "edutainment", I think.

Christian