Author Topic: Mahmud of Ghazni (AH384-421,997-1030AD), AR "Yamini" Dirhem (Type IV), Ghazna  (Read 228 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Type IV, 411 AH? Could someone please read and translate the marginal inscriptions?

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:47:49 PM by THCoins »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Help reading marginal legend on Yamini Dirham
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 04:51:53 PM »
Would be nice if i would be able to read you the margintexts here. However, thatīs almost impossible from a picture. I can just make a good guess of several loose characters and combinations of characters. To have any chance to get a complete sensible text you would have to have a good quality coin in hand and preferably a few specimen of the type.
Even in the SNAT catalog only framents of margin texts are given. Another problem is that there are so many different variations of obverse and reverse types for Mahmud that it not easy to pinpoint your coin as a specific catalog type. This combination of obverse and reverse at least i could not find in SNAT.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 05:11:42 PM »
Thank you, THCoins. I was hoping some catalog would have the marginal legend. Zeno has a nice table, but excludes marginal legends. Since all type IV specimens there seem to be dated 411AH and the obverse marginal legend is a visual match to those, though I can't read it due to the worn lettering, I guess this one is likely to be of the same year.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 07:02:21 PM »
Could be. For the obverse i find no match in SNAT with the two dots below 'yamini". The reverse could fit with their number 254 to 256, but the margintexts of these differ. The accompanying text just says "about 411-420AH".

Anthony

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 05:56:22 PM »
Attributed at Zeno:

Mahmud of Ghazni (AH384-421,997-1030AD), AR "Yamini" Dirhem (Type IV), Ghazna mint, AH411, SNAT XIVd:249/250 (3.0 g, 17.6 mm)

Obverse: In five lines: Adil/Ilaha Illa Allah/WahDahu La Sharik Lahu [There is no god except Allah; He is Alone (Unique), there is no partner to Him]/Nizam al-Din/Yamini. Mint (Ghazna) and date in words (AH411) in circular margin.

Reverse: In five lines: lillah/Muhammad Rasul Allah/Salla Allahu 'alayhi/ al-Qadir billah/Mahmud. In circular margin, title and laqabs of Mahmud (mimma amara bihi ..... yamin al-dawla wa amim al-milla abu'l-qasim)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
The transcription will probably be largely correct.
However, here are the entries in SNAT of nrs 249 and 250. As said, these are similar, but not identical to your specimen.