New Definitive Issue: 2019: New series of circulation coins

Started by Pabitra, June 15, 2018, 07:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

On Wednesday, the government of India is expected to announce the issuance of a new standard circulating coin series. The new coin series will also consist of a 20 Rupees coin. It will circulate alongside previously issued coins.

Pabitra

kansal888

I believe that the new coinage series (including new bimetallic Rs 20) is still under approval process.

eurocoin

Quote from: Pabitra on January 14, 2019, 11:04:45 AM
Source of information or the occasion?

The Ministry of Finance of the place you live.

eurocoin

Quote from: kansal888 on January 14, 2019, 11:16:45 AM
I believe that the new coinage series (including new bimetallic Rs 20) is still under approval process.

Quote from: Navaneeth on January 14, 2019, 01:25:46 PM
A Rs 20 coin may be coming, prototypes of new series to be presented - Republic

This will be finalised on 16th. Not release.

As I have written in my message, on Wednesday there is expected to be an official statement announcing the issuance of a new series of circulating coins. The coins won't immediately also be released into circulation.

kansal888

I will be surprised if the new series is announced publicly tomorrow.

kansal888

I think GoI is considering making serration marks on rims of coins as follows:

Re 1 coin: Circular with serrations in one quadrant
Rs 2 coin: Circular with serrations in two quadrants
Rs 5 coin: Circular with serrations in three quadrants
Rs 10 coin: Circular with serrations in four quadrants
Rs 20 coin: Multi sided Non circular

The above is intended to allow easy identification by visually impaired.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

eurocoin

Quote from: kansal888 on January 14, 2019, 03:42:27 PM
I will be surprised if the new series is announced publicly tomorrow.

As I wrote in my first message it is expected to happen on Wednesday, not tomorrow.

eurocoin

It is indeed very well possible that changes will be made for the blind given the legal case of the blind association that is currently before the High Court.

Pabitra

Quote from: eurocoin on January 14, 2019, 02:10:40 PM
The Ministry of Finance of the place you live.

There is no such announcements by the Ministry of Finance in the place where I live.

eurocoin

Quote from: Pabitra on January 14, 2019, 05:28:36 PM
There is no such announcements by the Ministry of Finance in the place where I live.

Where have I said anything about me having obtained this information from an announcement from the Ministry of Finance?

Anyway ever since I have been in contact with people from your part of the world (and I have spoken to over 100 of them so I know very well what I am talking about), I have had great difficulty getting anywhere with them. For now I will just ignore anything that may still happen in this topic. We know they are working on a new coin series (which can also be seen in the document linked to by Navaneeth), that information was not yet on the forum. Now it is.

quaziright

Well the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so lets all wait till Wednesday, end of day in India to see if anything happens. However, I have indeed observed that kansal888 seems to regularly have sound insight on all things concerning new Indian coins, so I'm inclined to believe him (or her?).

I'm curious to see what the new INR20 coin looks like and I wonder based on these serration edges that Kansal888 talks about, will this new set be some sort of unified design like the pre-euro Dutch coins that Figleaf that explained elsewhere?

quaziright

Quote from: eurocoin on January 14, 2019, 06:19:44 PM
Where have I said anything about me having obtained this information from an announcement from the Ministry of Finance?

Anyway ever since I have been in contact with people from your part of the world (and I have spoken to over 100 of them so I know very well what I am talking about), I have had great difficulty getting anywhere with them. For now I will just ignore anything that may still happen in this topic. We know they are working on a new coin series (which can also be seen in the document linked to by Navaneeth), that information was not yet on the forum. Now it is.

I am curious to know whether by 100 people, you are talking about officials within the Finance Ministry? If so, it would be interesting, without divulging specifics, of your thoughts on interacting with them. I work with several colleagues who are fairly recent immigrants here and every now and then, we talk about how different the realities of engaging with authorities here and over there are

Navaneeth

Quote from: kansal888 on January 14, 2019, 03:46:09 PM
I think GoI is considering making serration marks on rims of coins as follows:

Re 1 coin: Circular with serrations in one quadrant
Rs 2 coin: Circular with serrations in two quadrants
Rs 5 coin: Circular with serrations in three quadrants
Rs 10 coin: Circular with serrations in four quadrants
Rs 20 coin: Multi sided Non circular

The above is intended to allow easy identification by visually impaired.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Kansal ji, even I am feeling the same. The coins were actually scheduled for 3-4 months back.