New Definitive Issue: 2019: New series of circulation coins

Started by Pabitra, June 15, 2018, 07:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

No change in size of bank notes in near future: RBI

Updated: Sep 07, 2019 02:28 IST
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, Mumbai

The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) told the Bombay high court (HC) on Friday that it does not intend to change the size of currency notes in the near future.

Senior advocate VR Dhond, who represented the banking regulator, made this statement in response to a query made by the HC bench of Chief Justice Pradeep Nandrajog and justice Bharati Dangre.

The bench was hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by the National Association for the Blind (NAB), highlighting the difficulties faced by the visually-impaired in identifying new currency notes and coins. The petitioner body had sought directions to the RBI to include distinctive features in currency notes and coins so that visually-impaired persons can easily identify them.

The bench said the Dhond's statement will take care of most of the problem as retaining the size of the notes will help visually-impaired persons to identify the notes.

After Dhond pointed out that the beta (trial) version of a mobile application being developed by RBI to help the visually-impaired to identify the denomination of currency notes will become available on November 1, the bench posted the PIL for further hearing on November 4.

Source: Hindustan Times
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

Quote from: Bimat on September 22, 2019, 01:12:38 PM
After Dhond pointed out that the beta (trial) version of a mobile application being developed by RBI to help the visually-impaired to identify the denomination of currency notes will become available on November 1, the bench posted the PIL for further hearing on November 4.

The best I can think of is an app that recognises the banknote and makes a different sound for each different banknote. I find it an interesting idea, but worry about some aspects. Will the app be able to detect fake notes? If so, it would be of interest e.g. to small shopkeepers, but I doubt if that is possible with the state of technology. Still, it's an improvement on feeling the size. Will the app be an excuse for not including features for the blind on banknotes? If so, taking out a phone, launching the app and scanning the notes will be very much slower than just rubbing a finger over the note, searching for the feature for the blind.

I hope the judge pronounces himself on these matters and does not leave such decisions to RBI officials, who have already shown a remarkable insensitivity to the needs of the blind.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pabitra

Notes are not effected but new series coins now delayed beyond Nov. 4.

I hope the App does not need smartphone and judge does not ask government to provide one to every blind man of the nation.

repindia

It seems everyone here missed this. There are pictures on social media of packets of these coins released by IG Mint Mumbai dated 15th Sep 2019.

Jostein

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

Pabitra

idiotghost

Has anyone able to get these from the mint or other place?

Abhay

Quote from: idiotghost on September 25, 2019, 11:22:31 AM
Has anyone able to get these from the mint or other place?

Many dealers are offering on Facebook groups. Rate is @ Rs. 12 per coin + Shipping.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

idiotghost

Quote from: Abhay on September 25, 2019, 02:41:21 PM
Many dealers are offering on Facebook groups. Rate is @ Rs. 12 per coin + Shipping.

Abhay

Classic case of Demand-supply mismatch a per Keynesian economics! Lets wait for few months before these coins end up freely in circulation. Looks to me the regular coin & not Commemorative version.

Has anyone landed the Rs 20 bimetallic coin recently or that too hasnt come for "official" circulation yet?

Thanks

Pabitra

Quote from: idiotghost on September 25, 2019, 02:46:18 PM
Has anyone landed the Rs 20 bimetallic coin recently or that too hasnt come for "official" circulation yet?
20/- minting not yet started.

Pabitra

So the first coin of new series is released.
Here is exact color image.

Next to come is likely to be 2 Rupees of Kolkata mint.

Pabitra