UK Commemorative themes for 2018

Started by eurocoin, October 28, 2017, 07:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

With the end of 2018 nearing it is interesting to note that the 250th anniversary of the Royal Academy of Arts 5 Pounds coin was never available from The Royal Mint. Only the Westminster Collection has issued the coin.

eurocoin

People have started faking the Royal Wedding Strike Your Own pack. They use real coins, put them in a similar capsule and in a similar pouch with a fake certificate of authenticity.

The Royal Mint is considering to introduce a special mintmark on the SYO coins.

eurocoin

Watch out who you share details with about your collection. Some crazy people on this planet.  :o Man was murdered over limited edition Beatrix Potter 50ps

Bimat

Quote from: eurocoin on February 18, 2019, 06:18:18 PM
Watch out who you share details with about your collection. Some crazy people on this planet.  :o Man was murdered over limited edition Beatrix Potter 50ps

The verdict is out.

This is the craziest thing I have heard/read about coin collectors! :o

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

eurocoin

Quote from: Bimat on March 09, 2019, 07:24:54 AM
The verdict is out.

This is the craziest thing I have heard/read about coin collectors! :o

Aditya

The sentence is now also known. He got life imprisonment, which means that he may rot in jail for at least the next 30 years. Dutch judges: watch and learn.

eurocoin

For people who still like to buy the 2018-dated RAF 2 pounds coins, there now is code RAF19 for a free Sea King coin with every order. If you also use free postage code RMRP35Y2 you can, for example obtain 2 of the RAF 2 pounds coins for a total of 10 pounds.

T&C may apply for other combinations.

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Bimat

Quote from: <k> on December 15, 2017, 05:21:48 PM
The 5 pounds coin.

The design of the said cupro-nickel coin shall be as follows:

'For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription "ELIZABETH II · D · G · REG · FID · DEF · 5 POUNDS ·", and for the reverse a depiction of Our initial accompanied by those of His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge and His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge, royally crowned, above an oak garland with the inscription "· FOUR GENERATIONS OF THE ROYAL FAMILY ·" and the date of the year.

BY THE QUEEN  | Proclamations | The Gazette

How Prince William's baldness caused a crisis for Royal Mint chiefs who wanted to give him more hair for commemorative coin

By CHRIS HASTINGS ARTS CORRESPONDENT FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY

PUBLISHED: 00:20 BST, 25 August 2019 | UPDATED: 00:36 BST, 25 August 2019

His thinning locks have prompted many 'Royal heir' jokes, but Prince William's baldness caused a crisis for Royal Mint chiefs over the design of a commemorative coin, it can be revealed.

While William has won praise for embracing the Windsor family tradition for male pattern baldness by refusing to cover up his thinning thatch, officials at the Royal Mint wanted to give him 'more hair' on the coin to celebrate four generations of the Royals.

The Prince's hairloss makeover was the subject of discussion among members of the advisory committee on the Design of Coins, Medals and Decorations which oversees the production of commemorative coins on behalf of the Royal Mint.

The minutes for a meeting held at Buckingham Palace on June 20, 2017, state: 'It was suggested that in any revised design Prince William be given slightly more hair.'

The committee's decision is likely to come as a surprise to William. He has often joked about his thinning locks and, on a walkabout, once told a hairstylist: 'I don't have much hair. I can't give you much business.'

Six months after the committee met he went one step further and famously appeared in public sporting a closely cropped style.

The committee's minutes were obtained by this newspaper under freedom of information laws and show that its members are particularly sensitive when it comes to designs involving the Royal Family.

In 2016, the committee was preoccupied with plans for a coin to commemorate the Prince of Wales's 70th birthday last year. In a September meeting, members complained that one design left Charles looking like US President Lyndon Johnson. It had 'a few too many lines on the forehead' and 'jowls that were on the heavy side', they said.

By the time the design was discussed again in December, members had agreed to 'remove/soften the detail of the jowl'.

The wording on Royal coins has also caused problems. In 2016, designs for a coin to celebrate the Queen and Prince Philip's upcoming platinum wedding anniversary had to be changed when members decided the inscription 'married life has joined them in happiness' might be preferable to 'married love has joined them in happiness' because the latter 'called to mind a book by Marie Stopes', a reference to the family planning campaigner.

The committee also appears to be wary of designs which embrace popular culture. One complained that a coin to commemorate the D-Day landings 'had a rather unfortunate association with the opening of Dad's Army'.

Source: Daily Mail
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

eurocoin

The clickbait title is crap of course. The comments made by the members of the Royal Mint Advisory Committee say something about the designs that were shown to them rather than about these royal people themselves, although the article tries to make it look the contrary. As for the inscription mentioned in the second last paragraph of the article, the mint eventually chose "Wedded love has joined them in happiness" so the remark of one of the members about the book of Mary Stopes was ignored.

Deeman

I have noticed that RM have included a 'Strike Your Own Coin Sales' under 'UK Commemorative Coin Sales'.

Sales listed commence from last round pound in 2016 to issues up to end of 2018.

Deeman

Commemorative coin sales for 2018 have been added to the RM site.

avle64e

I looked at the 2018 coin sales (thanks to Deeman for the link).
Maybe someone can answer my questions.
1. Is it possible to make a conclusion about the number of issued BU coins based on the sales graph? I doubt the numbers. For example, 100th Anniversary of the First World War Armistice 2018 UK £2 Base Metal PNC-Sales 641. My PNC has the number 10653. How can this be?
2. Some coins are marked "in Tubes". What is it? What do they look like?
3. Whether these sales include coins that the WC sells and coins that are stamped when visiting the mint.
4. Do I understand correctly that the item "Mail Aircraft Stamp and Coins PNC" is a PNC with four coins with "The RAF Centenary"aircraft?

eurocoin

Quote from: avle64e on March 11, 2021, 05:34:18 PM1. Is it possible to make a conclusion about the number of issued BU coins based on the sales graph? I doubt the numbers. For example, 100th Anniversary of the First World War Armistice 2018 UK £2 Base Metal PNC-Sales 641. My PNC has the number 10653. How can this be?

It should be possible to make a conclusion about the number of issued BU coins based on the sales graph. They may have started from a certain number. Maybe they numbered them 10000 to 11000 with a part not having been sold? They do not send them out in numerical order.

Quote from: avle64e on March 11, 2021, 05:34:18 PM
2. Some coins are marked "in Tubes". What is it? What do they look like?

As far as I am aware there are no images of the tubes. Coins in tubes and trays are being sold exclusively to coin dealers. They subsequently put the BU coins in their own packaging. Coins in tubes and trays are for example being delivered to the Westminster Collection. In 2018, the number of BU coins sold in tubes and trays for the first time outnumbered the sales of BU packs.

3. Whether these sales include coins that the WC sells and coins that are stamped when visiting the mint.

The coins sold by the Westminster Collection are 'Coins in tubes' and 'Coins in trays'. The coins minted when visiting the mint are the Strike Your Own coins. Their sales figures can be found on a dedicated page of The Royal Mint website.

4. Do I understand correctly that the item "Mail Aircraft Stamp and Coins PNC" is a PNC with four coins with "The RAF Centenary"aircraft?

Yes.

avle64e

Eurocoin, thank you so much for your detailed response.
For some reason, I thought that the number of sales should be higher. For example, they sell PNC very quickly. I thought there was a high demand, but it turns out they just don't produce enough of them. (((