New Commemorative Issue: 2019: 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi

Started by kansal888, May 03, 2018, 03:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabitra

The metal of coinage has nothing to do with this.
The metal for this will be quaternary alloy which has been in use for quite some time.
Circulation Commem coins in steel, Nickel Brass or bimetal have been stopped as a matter of policy.
It is basically laziness, unwillingness to hold a competition, tendency to criticise every design by people etc. which has led to this stage.

Prosit

kansal888

Quote from: repindia on September 07, 2019, 06:21:32 PM
I was expecting nice engraving and a good portrait of Mahatma Gandhi. Very unimaginative and a disappointment.

Dear Rep India

I totally agree with you. Our mints are dishing out very un-imaginative  and boring designs for new commemorative coins. There is total lack of creativity.

Regards

kansal888

Quote from: Pabitra on September 02, 2019, 06:51:50 PM
I have all the reasons to doubt if the legend accompanying the logo will retain English, even if  this is the selected logo.

On many occasions in past, Indian mints have modified the standard logo of an event to make it fit for coins. I will give one example of International Day of Yoga.

(a) On logo, International Day of Yoga is written only in English; whereas on coins, it is bilingual.

(b) On logo, International Day of Yoga is written at the top of humanoid figure near its hands; whereas on coins, it is at top right periphery.

(c) On logo, the date 21 June is at top; whereas on coins, the date is at bottom.

(d) On logo, Yoga for Harmony and Peace is written at bottom near feet of humanoid; whereas on coins its on right side.

(e) On logo, Yoga for Harmony and peace is written only in English whereas on coins, it is bilingual.

I am sure that if required, mints can very well tweak the logo to make it bilingual while retaining the main characteristics and flavor of the original logo.

Regards

Sanjay Kansal

PS: Apart from International Day of Yoga, there are couple of more examples. I will post them whenever I get time

Pabitra

Post office has started booking the set of stamp and coin whereas there is no gazette notification.

Pabitra

kansal888

Yes, the above design is broadly correct. The Obverse side -which shows the Lion Emblem of Kolkata Mint instead of Mumbai Mint.

India post will issue a presentation pack of coins and stamps for the first time.

Navaneeth

Quote from: kansal888 on October 01, 2019, 10:56:01 AM
Yes, the above design is broadly correct. Except the Obverse side -which shows the Lion Emblem of Kolkata Mint instead of Mumbai Mint.

India post will issue a presentation pack of coins and stamps for the first time.

The price is Rs 5225 and can be ordered now at India Post website.

kansal888

Few years back NIUE ISLANDS issued five coins on Gandhi

Einstein

Nice designs... When can we see such wonderful designs and messages on Indian Coins???
Regards-
Shekhar.

kansal888

Uploading the coin release pics.

Pic.looks bad and shoddy. I hope actual coin is better

kansal888

Pics of coin
Booking open at Mumbai Mint.
Coins are available in small wooden boxes
5665 for proof
5305 for unc

Navaneeth

And it's first time.. the coin full silver 999 purity and not the usual quaternary alloy

Pabitra

999 fineness of Silver is not a recommended practice.
The silver is too malleable for such type of coinage.

Indian NCLT coins upto 1981 were 92.5 percent silver
After that they have been quarternary alloy but that too has 50 percent silver.
1000 Rupees coins ( both of them) had 80 percent silver.

I think, to ensure higher percentage, the mint will be sacrificing quality of strike.
The NCLT business of recent times has become an indicator of general greed which seems to have engulfed the nation in recent times