Spain, revalued 8 maravedis dated 164* and 1652

Started by capnbirdseye, February 25, 2018, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

Another stray coin that came my way, this looks countermarked on both sides, seems to be a coat of arms with a Lion standing,  a different date is visible on both sides, a clear 1652  and 164 together with an 8 
Vic

Figleaf

No link with the Caribbean, a Spanish circulation coin, revalued. It probably started as an 8 maravedis of Philip II or Philip III that had lost much of its weight and was revalued to 8 maravedis in 1652 (Philip IV). Cayón 5366 (Coruña) or 5367 (Cuenca). The counterstamps should be 1652 and VIII on one side and 8 on the other side. The 8 was punched in twice.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

Thank you Peter,
maybe I'm seeing it differently but I think what you are seeing as a second 8 is part of the other date, see it more clearly here 164, the 4th digit is obliterated
Vic

Figleaf

You are quite right. I did see the 6, but not the 4. Since the counterstamp 6 does not exist, I took it for a half obliterated 8. The earlier counterstamp is 1641 or 1642. There was a crown above the date before it was erased by the 8 counterstamp. I have now found the second VIII that goes with the 1640s counterstamp. It is on the other side, upside down at 11 o'clock.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.