Afghanistan, overstruck falus Kabul / Peshawar ?

Started by saro, February 09, 2018, 03:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

Cu / 24-25mm / 9,73g
This coin is somewhat puzzling...
right picture : "falus Kabul" with " 11(xx)" over the "K" of "Kabul", overstruck on a previous Kabul coin; if "11xx" is a date, the problem is that this host coin is very similar to the falus A-3239 / S. Album sale 27, which is dated 1233 AH ??
left picture : "(dar) al-sultanat Kabul" overprint on a coin that I think is a falus of Peshawar ( according to its design) which not fits with the other face ...
Below, I read " sanah Ahd" / year 1
Taïmur Shah Durrani struck silver and copper coins at Peshawar; some are dated "ahd / 1186 AH.
May be I am wrong in the chronology of stamps ?
(joined : detail of the ornament of a falus of Peshawar mint - from S.Album / 1233 AH)

"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

Lack of expertise alone won't stop me. :) Could the date be xx11, or could it be regnal year 11?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Thank you Peter.
Following your suggestion, " 11 " (which clearly belongs to "Kabul") could be either :"11xx", xx11" or RY "11"
- 11xx may fit with the reigns of Ahmad Shah Durrani & Taïmur
- xx11 may fit only with Shah Zaman (1211 is only possible)
- RY 11 could fit with the reigns of  Ahmad Shah and Taïmur Shah

in another hand, "sanah ahd" belongs to the Peshawar symbol and the only ruler (I think..) who has struck coins at Peshawar in years 12.. is Mahmud Shah from whom silver coins of this mint dated 1233 /ry 1 are known.

I join for example a very similar script of "sanah ahd" found on a coin of Qaisar Shah who ruled only 1 year (Kabul / 1222 / ahd)

saro

I am still unable to track the chronology of the counterstamps.. :-\ .Peshawar and Kabul stamps are not in good agreement, except if we consider that could be a mule  or that the Peshawar symbol could have been used at Kabul mint  ???

Figleaf

Great puzzle, saro, but I lack your expertise. All I can do is inspire you. Look at the right picture. There is a double line with four-pointed stars in-between. It makes an impossible curve. Look also at how text flows over the dotted edge line on the left picture. What if the original (it seems to me that the original coin had an edge of big dots on both sides) had been overstruck twice?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on February 17, 2018, 09:06:25 AM
There is a double line with four-pointed stars in-between. It makes an impossible curve. Look also at how text flows over the dotted edge line on the left picture. What if the original (it seems to me that the original coin had an edge of big dots on both sides) had been overstruck twice?

Thank you Peter, I think you are right  :) : this coin has been likely overstruck twice...
The double line with four pointed stars belongs with no doubt to a Kabul paisa similar to the one joined here after (S.Album sale 27) with the same floral design and "dar al-sultanat Kabul " dated 1234 AH.

A possible chronology of strikes could be :
1 - paisa struck at Kabul by Taïmur Shah (11xx AH or ry 11/ 1196 AH ?)
2 - re-struck at Kabul in years 1230-33 AH by Mahmud Shah
3 - then overstruck at Peshawar by Aiyub Shah in first year of his reign (1233 AH)