Author Topic: Khwarezm Shahs, Ala-ud-din Muhammad, Billon jital, mint X, Tye 248  (Read 264 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
a nice specimen fairly evenly struck & showing the top of the die, unknown mint, Tye 248 (mint 'X') scarce,

weight is 3.26g
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:52:23 AM by THCoins »
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Khwarezm Shahs, Ala-ud-din Muhammad, Billon jital, mint X, Tye 248
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 11:35:09 PM »
at top of right picture, they are the horns of the bull of Minos or the moustaches of Muzzafar Shah ?...  :D :D
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »
at top of right picture, they are the horns of the bull of Minos or the moustaches of Muzzafar Shah ?...  :D :D

it could be either  :D :D  I guess it's an oversized ornament, the example shown in Tye's book and the only one I could find in the database does not show the top of the die
Vic

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 11:09:05 AM »
Here one of mine. Slightly different writing style. Also the ornament above the text is executed a bit different.  The one shown in Tye's Jitals also differs from yours in that it lacks the dot above the final nun of "Sultan", while yours clearly shows this. There seems to be quite some variation in these.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 11:57:45 AM »
Here one of mine. Slightly different writing style. Also the ornament above the text is executed a bit different.  The one shown in Tye's Jitals also differs from yours in that it lacks the dot above the final nun of "Sultan", while yours clearly shows this. There seems to be quite some variation in these.

I'm surprised only one type is shown in Tye's Jitals, particularly as it lists (22) were available to compare the legends etc.
Vic

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 01:04:05 PM »
Well, now while trying myself to recatalog these i can imaging the problem. Whit hand made dies and hand struck coins when do you start to distinguish between different subtypes ? There is not a straightforward answer to this i think. So, with some types you may end up with a bit to many subtypes, with others one may neglect differences which later on may seem significant.