Author Topic: Chagatayid dirham from Khotan  (Read 248 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Chagatayid dirham from Khotan
« on: January 17, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »
This silver dirham I newly acquired in a little lot of Mongol coins. I believe it is a rare type minted in Khotan, an important town just north of Tibet (at the other side of the Kunlun mountains). Part of the design is flat, that can't be helped, but it is comparable with Zeno #20536, with an informative discussion attached. According to a description the coin had to do with the visit of Marco Polo to China, but that is probably an eurocentrist sale theory.

AR dirham, Chagatayid Khans, Khotan, ND. Tuqa Timur (1272-1291). Album 1985. Tibetan MAM ( "mother ") in obverse center, mint name on reverse. 20 mm, 1.67 gr.

-- Paul

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 01:31:54 PM by THCoins »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Chagatayid dirham from Khotan
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »
I am very much intrigued by the various aspects of this coin. First its origin, and second the contrast between the arab text and the bold Tibetan script character in the center. I wonder if this reflects a fusion of cultures, where Tibetan monks might even have struck these coins. Or did the Chagatayid indeed adopt this foreign character as a tribal tamgha. I do not think there is enough historic evidence to come to a definite explanation. 

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:17:34 PM »
That could be a good insight, the Tibetan word as a tamgha. It looks like a tamgha. And why would anyone put 'Mother' on a coin?
-- Paul

Online BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »
Very nice and rare coin, congratulations! BTW, Nyamaa Badarch in his work "The Coins of Mongol Empire and Clan Tamgha of Khans.." also calls it a "tamgha"..

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 01:25:00 PM »
Similar flat parts on those photos also. My best guess is an uneven thickness flan.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 09:00:39 AM »
Similar flat parts on those photos also. My best guess is an uneven thickness flan.

Peter

It's an evenly thin coin, probably it's more a result of careless coining.

-- Paul