News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Sultans of Dehli, Muhammad bin Tughluq, Billon 10 gan,i G&G D373

Started by maudry, January 12, 2018, 11:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maudry

Who can help with this one? First image is rotated to have the date read correctly but should maybe rotated 90° clock wise.
Size: 15mm
Weight: 3.30gr

saro

Delhi Sultanate : Muhammad bin Tughluq Shah "al-Sultan al-'adl / bin Muhammad Tughluqshah"
10 gani / G&G D373 / billon coin (high copper content)
The date 722 could be an error of engraving for 726
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

capnbirdseye

I think perhaps it's not an error but the 6 of the date is squashed in which seems to occur on most of this type,  see my example here which is also squashed in at the end
Vic

saro

Very beautifull coin Vic ! so the date is well 726.
The "butterfly" (or alarm clock key..) letter "H" of "Shah" is very characteristic
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

capnbirdseye

Yes, these are very attractive coins as are many of muh bin Tughluqs,  my one here appears to have a higher percentage of silver compared to maudry's example
Vic

maudry

Thank you very much to both of you.
Yes it's a very nice little coin.
I have posted a larger picture of the year.
The final digit still looks more like a 2 to me but maybe it appears like that only due to the lack of space to the rim.

EWC

Thakkur Pheru was very consistant with coin composition, and I would expect this coin to have a relatively high silver content, as is normal.

The fact is - one cannot judge the metal from the surface appearance, and this coin very probably just has a lot of copper encrustation - probably from adjacent corroded copper items buried with it.

Personally I would not clean such a coin, the encrustation looks nice enough and is part of its bona fides..........

Rob T