Iran, civic copper of Sa'ujbulagh / horseman

Started by saro, January 03, 2018, 09:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

4,5g /22mm / undated
The horseman with spear could be inspired by the popular russian coppers of Catherine II showing St George attacking a dragon, as found on some iranian civic coppers (of Kermanshahan)  ???
A very unusual design with the  the horseman who is quietly riding in flames ! and I wonder what it refers to ?

Scarce mint with nearly full mintname & unpublished it seems
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

Either the horseman's arms are in the wrong position or his lance is. The lance looks more like a quiver anyway. The flames may be steppe grass. Also, there's a very big mosquito at 11 o'clock. I wonder if it's an insectoid version of a hunter's falcon or the target of the hunter's arrows. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on January 11, 2018, 11:48:14 AM
Also, there's a very big mosquito at 11 o'clock.

Thank you Peter for your pertinent remarks (as usual...  ;) )
I wonder if this horseman couldn't be inspired by the very popular kings Shahi design ? from which  the letter in front of the head is converted in a kind of "Unidentified Flying Object"  ???

A mirror image of this Shahi coin looks very similar to the one of this civic copper !

Figleaf

Oh wow. That's a far better candidate. Echos of those redoubtable bull and horseman jitals? Hat fashion has changed, though and the right arm is still in the wrong position for a lance. Now, I found an Easter bunny at 14:30 hrs and that can't be right either. I think you have a delightful coin there, saro!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

You are right Peter, it isn't a spear but better a  rifle slung over the shoulder; it seems to me now that there is a remain of the belt across the chest of the horseman?
:applause: for the rabbit at right margin !  we could well have here a hunter riding in the steppe with his trophies : a bird at left and a rabbit at right. (and then nothing to see with the shahi coin design..)