Author Topic: Afghanistan, KM 27, anonymous falus AH1257  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Afghanistan, KM 27, anonymous falus AH1257
« on: June 27, 2007, 02:41:49 AM »
I did attempt to identify this coin as one of the Sikh Empire, but what to do with the serrated edges? 
I tried reading the date and have no idea which numbers are the key.  Is this the 57th year of someone's rule, or was the coin minted in the year 2657, AH or AD, take your pick.  I like the coins cool lines, wonderful use of space and oval shape. I suppose much of that is due to a combination of age and the blow of the hammer.  It is 6.3 grams and about 19 X 17 mm.
Richie
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:04:06 PM by <k> »

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: Which Princely State is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 02:42:32 AM »
and the image looks like this!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 05:52:45 PM »
Indian numismatics is full of leaves and I understand why you are blaming the Sikhs for this coin, but they used smooth leaves. There are leaves in Gwalior and Indore too, but nothing like this. Maybe your coin doesn't exist, but I am not ready to give up yet...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 06:41:27 PM »
A native Arabic speaker and calligrapher who looked at the coin said only that it would be very unusual for a number to be seperated in such a way; that is the number on the left ("2") with the numbers on the right ("57"). 

Richie

Offline muntenman

• SPERAMUS MELIORA RESURGET CINERIBUS
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:18:32 PM »
Gujarat??
GLOBAL MODERATOR under the name of GRIVNAGOZER at www.munthunter.nl

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 09:18:58 PM »
Yes, the coin could have come from Gujerat.  But which "princely" state. 
I wonder if there is an objection to the use of that term among Indian Numistatists? 
I lived in Bhopal and visited the Nowab's palace.  Bhopal was a "princely" state ruled by a Nowab or King.  But to the British, of course, there was only one King, or Queen, and hense the Nowab was refered to as but a prince and Bhopal, a "princely" state.
richie

BC Numismatics

Which Princely State is it?
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 08:48:21 AM »
Richie,
   Here's a link; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Princely_States .

You will have fun working out which states had Nawabs & Nabobs.I can tell you that Bahawalpur had an Amir,& Hyderabad had a Nizam.Jammu & Kashmir was the only Muslim state whose ruler was a Maharajah.

Aidan.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 05:43:00 AM »
Aiden,
In the 1960's, I visited a place called Narsingarh, not far from Bhopal in what is now Madhya Pradesh.  It was physically a very beautiful place.
Here's what I got from the web:
Narsingarh is a formerly princely state of India, administratively under the Bhopal Agency subdivision of the Central India Agency. The state covered an area of 1901 square kilometers and had a population of 92,093 in 1901. Its rulers were styled ?Raja?, and were entitled to an 11-gun salute.

The principality was founded in 1681 by the Hindu Umat dynasty. After Indian independence in 1947, the rulers of Narsingarh acceded to the Union of India, and the principality was incorporated into the new state of Madhya Bharat, which subsequently became Madhya Pradesh state on November 1, 1956.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 05:50:54 AM »
AND NOW, worthy of a 23 gun salute, is the following information on our "princely state" coin;

It is an anonymous Hammered Copper coin from Afghanistan!
Km 27, the date on the coin refers to AH1257.  On this coin, we see the sword between two leaves.  It was refered to as a falus, a "copper" and was minted in Ahmadshahi, or modern day Qandahar.  I paid a dollar for it, but I it's now one of my favorites and I wouldn't sell it for a hundred.
Hmm. Well, certainly not for fifty.
maybe. 
But I really do love it.
Richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 11:47:58 AM »
Salute guns booming!

I'd looked over the Indian feudal states without finding that blasted leaf and knowing that I'd seen it somewhere. Here's a little detail: KM gives the mint name Ahmadshahi. That's a bit like Leningrad: before and after it was called Ahmadshahi, even during, the place was known as Kandahar.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.