Author Topic: Alternative reading to the Tye catalog for a scarce Khwarezmshah Jital  (Read 239 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
I have encountered many Jitals where the Arab text is hard to read. Luckily the Tye Jitals catalog has come to my rescue many times. However, also the catalog readings could only be based on the best specimen available. So once in a while i have suggested an alternative interpretation based on new specimen i held in hand.

Below is a specimen of Tye#285, issued under Kwarezmshah Ala-ud-din Muhammad bin Tekish which is fairly scarce. This attribution is without question for me.
The reverse, right picture shows a common text for these; "Abu 'l-fath /  Muhammad al-Sultan / Tekish". My specimen nicely conforms to the reading given in Tye's Jitals.
For the obverse mr Tye gives "as-Sultan / (din) Allah fi / (al-)Zaman. There is, however, a questionmark after this to indicate that the reading was insecure.

Based on the specimen below, i believe that the previous reading is incorrect, and propose an alternative which initially surprized me but later on sounded very plausible.

There is no discussion on the first line "as-Sultan" السلطان.
On the second line instead of "din Allah fi" i read ظل الله في, "Zil Allah fi" which translates as "the shadow of Allah in/at". There is not much room in the circle for a possible additional initial character.
The last line i first read as الأض, "Al-Ad" = "the light". However, الأرض  "Al-Ard", "the earth" would be a logical alternative, and would also fit better with the specimen shown in Tye's Jitals.

If we put this in order we get "The Sultan, the shadow of Allah on earth". This not only sounds nice, but looking in literature, this is historically also a well known formula used to address different rulers. It is also present on some contemporary Seljuk coins.

I know several people on WoC read better Arab than I do, so please let me hear your possible objections !
In addition, do any of you know other coins which display this formula ?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:00:30 PM by THCoins »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Alternative reading to the Tye catalog for a scarce Khwarezmshah Jital
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 12:10:58 PM »
My frustration is that there's so little I can add to this sort of discussion. I think it is important that the alternative reading is looked at, because getting errors out of our knowledge is always worthwhile. I encourage all members to react and I would suggest a PM to selected members.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Alternative reading to the Tye catalog for a scarce Khwarezmshah Jital
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 12:24:16 PM »
No frustration on my side for the lack of reactions until now. I think WoC is a great forum to expose also new ideas to the world. Writing the thread helps me to organize my thoughts on a subject and present it concisely. Looking that more than 70 people read this thread from me gives a feeling that i planted a seed that may come to fuller growth later on.