Author Topic: An Elymais impulse buy  (Read 642 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
An Elymais impulse buy
« on: November 08, 2017, 11:24:43 AM »
Sometimes i still encounter coins far outside my main focus of collection that evoke the feeling, "wow, that's nice". As the price was OK, i just bought it just for fun. And that's also the reason to show it here.
It is a copper drachm issued under Elymais king Kamnaskires-Orodes IV, from the 2nd century AD.

The obverse shows a facing portrait of the king. It has suffered from corrosion. But maybe because of this it gives a very modern, impressionistic and 3D like quality to the sculpting. The exposed red copper on the higher part gives the king a prominent nose, like he has seen many feasts where wine was poured freely.

The reverse shows the bust of Artemis facing left. A part of the typical Elymaian anchor can still be seen behind the head.
This side has had much less wear, but also shows a very different style, where the goddess seems to have both ancient Greek and ancient Indian features.

This all comes on a flan size of 15 mm maximal diameter, and 2.8 grams.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:31:44 PM by THCoins »

Offline Bob L.

Re: An Elymais impulse buy
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 02:19:44 AM »
Nice pick-up!  Yep, he may be inebriated - either that, or he just lost a steel cage match.

Elymaean attributions are a moving target, but by Pieter Van Haaff's reckoning in the most up-to-date research (Catalogue of Elymaean Coinage), this coin was issued by Orodes IV, circa 2nd half of the 2nd century AD.  It is a Van't Haaff type 17.2.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 09:56:23 AM »
Hi Bob, and thanks for the more precise attribution !
It seems that a lot of these surfaced in the market over the last half year. Have you heard anything of a large hoard that was found somewhere from which these could have originated ?

Offline Bob L.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 01:24:33 PM »
You are correct: based on the Elymaeans that have hit the market in recent months, particularly through Lanz, it's clear that a very large hoard was recently discovered.  It seems to be endless, consisting of mostly AE drachms, but also some tets, all from the Elymais Arsacid Dynasty, when the rulers were likely blood kin to the Arsacids of Parthia.  New lots are still appearing weekly.  I think I vaguely recall reading about a hoard find (of Elymaeans) a year or so back, but I don't remember the specifics...surely these coins are from that find.

Most coins from the hoard are in rough shape, with wear, corrosion, and deposits.  But here and there are some very nice specimens.  I snagged one last month, an Orodes IV drachm similar to yours - but, alas, your Artemis has held up much better through the centuries than mine has.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 06:02:33 PM »
I bought some of these coins on the same impulse, some tetradrachms and some 'drachms', all very affordable. But I stopped when the tetradrachms all started blooming brightly green. This is one after a few days in Bruce's BD solution.

-- Paul

Offline Bob L.

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 06:16:30 PM »
Paul, fyi (in case you don't yet have it attributed) that's an Orodes I, late 1st to early 2nd centuries AD, Van't Haaff 11.1.1-1.  A rare type I've wanted for years, but have yet to acquire.  I hesitated on pulling the trigger when I saw them among the Lanz coins since I was concerned about possible BD and their overall shape.  Hopefully you can stabilize it - if so, you'll no doubt have increased its value greatly.  This type only very seldomly appears on the market - as in: YEARS between market appearances.

If anyone is interested, I posted some of my favorite Elymaean pick-up's from 2017 over at CCF.  If you scan down below my fav Parthians, you'll see my top Elymaeans here: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=303291

- Bob

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 10:43:41 PM »
Did notice your presentation on coincommunity Bob. Thats a mighty fine collection !

Anthony

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 10:58:32 AM »
Paul, fyi (in case you don't yet have it attributed) that's an Orodes I, late 1st to early 2nd centuries AD, Van't Haaff 11.1.1-1.  A rare type I've wanted for years, but have yet to acquire.  I hesitated on pulling the trigger when I saw them among the Lanz coins since I was concerned about possible BD and their overall shape.  Hopefully you can stabilize it - if so, you'll no doubt have increased its value greatly.  This type only very seldomly appears on the market - as in: YEARS between market appearances.

...and I sold it to a friend. I'm sorry! Thanks for the identification!

If anyone is interested, I posted some of my favorite Elymaean pick-up's from 2017 over at CCF.  If you scan down below my fav Parthians, you'll see my top Elymaeans here: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=303291

- Bob

You really have a grandiose collection. Good that you streamlined it.

-- Paul

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 11:00:17 AM »
Here are two of the other coins, that came out of their beauty bath tolerably well. For the drachms, I will make another thread.

-- Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 11:05:59 AM »
You turned the right coin into a delight, Pellinore. Congratulations. I needed to relax the eyes to see the left coin. I hope you can get advice on getting rid of some of the red stuff as it certainly has good potential.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 05:48:09 PM »
You turned the right coin into a delight, Pellinore. Congratulations. I needed to relax the eyes to see the left coin. I hope you can get advice on getting rid of some of the red stuff as it certainly has good potential.

Peter

Thanks, nice coins, but the red stuff is nasty, I don't expect I can get rid of it. But the left coin was much more grimy in the beginning. These apparently billon coins have a curious metal, looks a bit like good old cupro-nickel, and it's very hard.
This is the third and last of my tetradrachms.
I forgot to mention the dimensions: resp. 25, 26-28 and 28 mm, 14.79, 15.13 and 15.30 gr.

-- Paul
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:15:11 PM by Pellinore »