The Philippines: Flora and fauna coin series, 1983 to 1994

Started by <k>, October 24, 2017, 11:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

In 1991:

1] The 25 sentimo coin was reduced from 3.9 g and 21 mm to 2.24 g and 16.6 mm.

2] The 50 sentimo coin was reduced from 6 g and 25 mm to 3 g and 18 mm. Additionally it was now made of brass instead of copper-nickel.

3] The 1 piso coin was reduced from 9.5 g and 28.5 mm to 4 g and 21.6 mm. Additionally it was now made in stainless steel instead of copper-nickel.

4] The 2 piso coin was reduced from 12 g and 31 mm to 5 g and 23.5 mm. Additionally it was now made in stainless steel instead of copper-nickel, and it was also now round instead of 10-sided.

5] A nickel-brass 5 piso coin was introduced in 1991. It weighed 9.54 g and was 25.5 mm in diameter.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

The round 2 piso coin of 1991 to 1994.

<k>

The 5 piso coin of 1991 to 1994.

Emilio Aguinaldo y Famy; Filipino: Emilio Famy Aguinaldo, Sr. (1869 – 1964) was a Filipino revolutionary, politician, and a military leader who is officially recognized as the first and the youngest President of the Philippines (1899–1901) and first president of a constitutional republic in Asia. He led Philippine forces first against Spain in the latter part of the Philippine Revolution (1896–1898), and then in the Spanish–American War (1898), and finally against the United States during the Philippine–American War (1899–1901). He was captured in Palanan, Isabela by American forces on March 23, 1901, which brought an end to his presidency.

In 1935, Aguinaldo ran unsuccessfully for president of the Philippine Commonwealth against Manuel Quezon. After the Japanese invasion of the Philippines in 1941, he cooperated with the new rulers, even making a radio appeal for the surrender of the American and Filipino forces on Bataan. He was arrested as a collaborator after the Americans returned but was later freed in a general amnesty and was subsequently exonerated.

<k>

From Wikipedia:

Pterocarpus indicus (commonly known as Amboyna wood, Malay padauk, Papua New Guinea rosewood, Philippine mahogany, Andaman redwood, Burmese rosewood, narra or Pashu padauk) is a species of Pterocarpus native to southeastern Asia, northern Australasia, and the western Pacific Ocean islands, in Cambodia, southernmost China, East Timor, Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, the Ryukyu Islands, the Solomon Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Pterocarpus indicus was one of two species (the other being Eysenhardtia polystacha) used as a source for the 16th- to 18th-century traditional diuretic known as lignum nephriticum.

Many populations of Pterocarpus indicus are seriously threatened. It is extinct in Vietnam and possibly in Sri Lanka and Peninsular Malaysia. It is the national tree of the Philippines.

<k>

I remember that there were one or two errors among the earlier coins. These had to do with the misspelling of the scientific names. Perhaps somebody can post a reminder of what exactly they were.

<k>

In 2004 I discovered one of the designers of these beautiful coins online, so I emailed him, and here is his reply.

Thank you for your interest in our numismatic designs. The other 2 artists were Angel Cacnio & Rafael Asuncion. Unfortunately, I do not know if  Mr. Cacnio has an email address and Mr. Asuncion, I heard, just passed away a few months ago.

However, as far as I can remember, Angel did the P100 & P20 bills, the heroes on the 25 centavos (Juan Luna), the 50 centavos (Marcelo H. del Pilar, and the 1 centavo (Lapu-lapu) and the orchid on the 5 centavos.

Rafael did the P50 & P10, the hero (Jose Rizal) on the 1 peso coin, the Philippine eagle on the 50 centavos, the butterfly on the 25 centavos and the shell on the 1 centavo.

I did the P5 pesos and the P1000, the hero (Andres Bonifacio) and the coconut tree on the P2 decagonal coin, the tamaraw (a wild animal) on the P1 coin, the poet (Francisco Baltazar) and the fish on the 10 centavos and the heroine (Melchora Aquino) on the the 5 centavos. The original Marcos P500 was also designed by me, was printed but never circulated when Marcos fell. Pres. Aquino replaced it with the Ninoy Aquino P500 which was now designed by Mr. Asuncion, since I was already in Canada by that time.

I hope these suffice.

Thanks again,

RCMananQuil

See also: How I "Made Money" for the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas.

Based on the information above, I constructed this list:

1  sentimo.     Lapu-lapu.                                       D: Angel Cacnio.
                      Sea shell (Voluta imperialis).            D: Rafael Asuncion.
5  sentimos.   Melchora Aquino.                             D: Romeo MananQuil.
                      Waling-waling orchid.                       D: Angel Cacnio.
10 sentimos.  Francisco Baltasar.                           D: Romeo MananQuil.
                      Pygmy goby, world's smallest fish.   D: Romeo MananQuil.
25 sentimos.  Juan Luna.                                        D: Angel Cacnio.
                      Butterfly (Graphium idaeoides).        D: Rafael Asuncion.
50 sentimos.  Marcel H. del Pilar.                            D: Angel Cacnio.
                      Monkey-eating eagle.                        D: Rafael Asuncion.
1  piso.           Jose Rizal.                                        D: Rafael Asuncion.
                      Tamaraw (Black buffalo).                  D: Romeo MananQuil.
2  piso.           Andres Bonifacio.                             D: Romeo MananQuil.
                      Coconut palm.                                  D: Romeo MananQuil.

D = Designer.