News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Safavids, Shah Sultan Husayn I, Date?, Silver Shahi (round flan), Tiflis mint

Started by aws22, September 02, 2017, 01:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aws22

Safavids, Shah Sultan Husayn I, Date?, Silver Shahi (round flan), Tiflis (Georgia) mint (1105-1135 AH)( 1694-1722 AD)
Weight 1.35 gm
Diameter 14 mm
Metal Silver
Obverse: "بنده شاه ولایت حسین", Bendeh-ya Shah-e Welayat Husayn, meaning, Servant of the King of the Welayat Husayn, the mint place "Tiflis تفلیس ". The date is not visible.
Reverse: Shiite formula (Kalima) "لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله", La illah l'Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah, 'Ali Wali Allah, meaning, "no God but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, 'Ali is the chosen one of God".
Judging by the weight of the silver Shahi, this issue was struck towards the end of Shah Hussein rule during the period 1129-1135 AH.
Rare coin and rare mint.   

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

saro

Yes Maythem, you have here a good coin! Abbasi of Tiflis mint / Husayn Shah are scarce, one has been previously posted by Andyg.
(the date placed at bottom of 2nd picture and is off)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

aws22

Thank you Saro, what surprise me is the amount of information and details on such small coin, it is amazing how the designer fill every space on the small flan.

Maythem

Figleaf

Indeed, Mathem. The die for this coin was still cut by hand. A century later, they could make big models and use a reducing lathe to create small dies. The die sinkers must have had good eyes and incredible muscle control in addition to being great calligraphers.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22