Text and Fonts on Coins

Started by Galapagos, September 01, 2009, 02:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

I like the way the '1' of the '10' is lengthened to fit the curve of the coin.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Ethiopia, 25 santim, 1977.

The numerals of the denomination are interrupted and pushed far away from one another by the pictorial element of the design.

Do you know of any other coin where the denominational numerals are pushed so far apart?

<k>

Macedonia 2000.jpg

Macedonia, 1 denar, 2000. 

The numerals of the year are each placed on a square. This makes them stand out.

Have you seen this technique used on any other coin?

<k>

Zimbabwe.jpg

Look at the strange shape of the numeral '1' on these coins. Is it buckling under the weight of inflation?

<k>

Hawaii, 5 cents, 1881.

New Caledonia 5 francs 1882.jpg

New Caledonia, 5 francs, 1882.  Token.

Snap!  :D

<k>

Brazil 10 cruzeiros-.jpg

Brazil 10 cruzeiros.jpg

Brazil, 10 cruzeiros, 1965.

In 1965, the Great Earthquake of Rio de Janeiro caused the minting presses that were producing the 10 and 20 cruzeiros coins to slide across the floor, thus spoiling the text on the designs and making it look italic. Brazil couldn't afford to throw away money, so the coins were still issued, but the government pretended that the text was always meant to be italic anyway, and the following year a new coin series was issued to hide their embarrassment.  :-X

chrisild

Strange that the text is in italics on both sides, but the italics used for the denomination are even more, uh, italic than the others.  ;D

Figleaf

I think it is mostly an optical illusion. I made a rough comparison between the slant of the vertical heart line of the 0 in 10 and the O in Cruzeiros and found them similar if not the same. Do the same for the 1 in 10 and the right leg of the U in Cruzeiros and you get the same result.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Agreed. Also, the word "CRUZEIROS" is in larger text, but the final "S" is in a more slanted font than the "S" in "BRASIL" on the obverse.

<k>

Macao 2 patacas 1998.jpg

Macao, 2 patacas, 1998.

Notice how MACAU is shown in nice three-dimensional lettering.

<k>

Top row: 10, 20, 50 haleru.

Middle row: 1, 2, 5 korun.

Bottom row: 10, 20, 50 korun.

Interesting set of fonts on the Czech Republic coinage.

All have slightly different widths or thicknesses. Some are serif, some are san serif.

The 5 korun font is the most interesting. "CESKA" is lengthened to the same size as "REPUBLIKA" beneath it.

Czech Republic 20 korun.jpg

The 20 korun has "stroked" letters.

Pabitra

The new set with new name is due anytime.
Hopefully, they will go for uniform obverse.

<k>

I haven't heard of this. Please explain.

eurocoin

Quote from: Pabitra on January 01, 2022, 04:52:20 PM
The new set with new name is due anytime.
Hopefully, they will go for uniform obverse.

What do you mean?

chrisild

Obviously I am not Pabitra ;D but it would be nicer in my opinion if there was "more diversity". That is, not always the lion and the country name.

OK, the first three denominations can be ignored as the haler coins ceased to circulate many years ago. But the remaining six are different to a minor, maybe irritating degree. The 5 CZK coin does at least have different arrangement of the animal and the text.

Now the heraldic lion may have to appear on each coin due to some law. But then "play" with sizes etc., or opt for one design that is used on all six denominations. ;)