The 20p
3 (50%)
The 50
0 (0%)
The round pound with royal shield of arms
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 24, 2017, 09:21:49 PM

Author Topic: Which is your LEAST favourite Dent design ?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Which is your LEAST favourite Dent design ?
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »

Matthew Dent's notorious "jigsaw" series.

OK, let's approach Dent's execrable "jigsaw" series with an open mind. There's so much to dislike, I scarcely know where to begin. But - the choice is YOURS! Let the fun begin.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Which is your LEAST favourite Dent design ?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
The design may not be Dent's - certainly the original is not - but it is thought to have been modelled by a Royal Mint engraver. I am talking about the royal shield of arms itself, as seen on the round pound. It looks so basic and takes up too much of the surface of the coin. I much prefer the crowned "round pound" version of 1988, seen below.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:14 PM »
What else is there? The 20p with lion's bottom. The upside-down 50p. The penny design is pretty poor: the incomplete lower part of a lion above the top of a harp. Not at all inspiring.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:35:16 PM »
Agree about the 20p, especially given the preceding 20p design worked so well.

Inasmuch as there's anything positive to say about the whole series, I actually think the 50p works the second-best of all. That it's "upside down" doesn't bother me, and it is at least symmetrical. The best, or least bad, is the 5p IMV - I like the way the design uses the whole flan (important on such a small coin) and the texture of the background.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:42:47 PM »
The best, or least bad, is the 5p IMV - I like the way the design uses the whole flan (important on such a small coin) and the texture of the background.

I do agree with you on that. Would that texture even have been technologically possible in years gone by?

Yes, the 50p isn't bad - I do actually like its upside-down-ness.

But the pound is my least favourite. The positioning, on the reverse, and the separation of the two words of the denomination, both at an angle, make it even worse. The penny comes a close second worse.

Already the set looks dated and stilted, though. I long for its disappearance.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 10:35:39 PM »
20p - back legs and tails - has to be the worst.  Unfortunately I voted for the 1p in error, and can't change it.  10p, 5p and 2p perhaps work the best, though if taken separately, the 10p could be mistaken for representing Sark's coat of arms.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 10:53:05 PM »
Trying changing it now: "Remove vote", then re-vote.

I notice FosseWay didn't vote.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 11:09:11 PM »
The 2p design reminds me somewhat of the flag of Flanders. Maybe their independence coins will look something like that.  >:D

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 07:57:40 AM »
Trying changing it now: "Remove vote", then re-vote.

I notice FosseWay didn't vote.

I thought I had, but both here and in the £-sign thread I found it didn't register first time. Now voted again.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 08:24:09 AM »
The 2p design reminds me somewhat of the flag of Flanders. Maybe their independence coins will look something like that.  >:D
Independence is looking less likely now isn't it?  The Scots voted Tory in droves and it's partly thanks to them that they're still in office.  Without those 12 (or whatever it is) Scottish MPs, the tories really would be struggling.

Thanks, I changed my vote.  I don't think that option was there before.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 09:17:40 AM »
I thought I had, but both here and in the £-sign thread I found it didn't register first time.

Weird. Never known that before.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 09:20:27 AM »
Independence is looking less likely now isn't it?  The Scots voted Tory in droves and it's partly thanks to them that they're still in office.  Without those 12 (or whatever it is) Scottish MPs, the tories really would be struggling.

Well, hardly in droves, but the Tories did gain 11 MPs, I believe. See 1997, when the Tories didn't win a single seat in Scotland or Wales.

Thanks, I changed my vote.  I don't think that option was there before.

It wasn't, but I changed it for you. Fee: a 15 pound note. What - you want a REDUCTION?  :o  OK, a third of a farthing - just for you.  8)

Offline hertfordian

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 09:53:55 AM »
Would it be churlish to say any of them? (I'm including such Clipart-style gems as the WWF 50p)

#Sorry #notsorry #curmudgeon
Ian
UK

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 10:40:59 AM »
Good on you, top churl and curmudgeon.  :D

Time to haul Dent before a People's Court.

"Matthew Dent, you are charged with hypnotising the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the Deputy Master of the Royal Mint, for the sole purpose of hacking the nation's coinage and installing your reactionary and simplistic designs thereto. How do you plead?"

Well, we can dream.  :(

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 02:23:37 PM »
I think you are unduly harsh on Dent. Under the influence of the empire adulation crowd, the design scene in the UK was less lively than Sesame Street Bert's pencil collection. Dent had the courage to rebel and experiment. As with experiments in all fields, some work, some don't. I agree his circulation set got boring when the novelty wore off - which was quickly. The WWF 50 was certainly a whole lot less boring than some other commemorative designs (that includes ALL Beatrix Potter stuff, I consider them saccharine advertisement art) and the silhouetting did work. For me, the bottom line is he tried, but might have been a tad more revolutionary when it came to the circulation coins...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.