Author Topic: Qarakhanid, Uzjand, Arslan Khan Ibrahim bin Husayn (551-74AH)  (Read 359 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Qarakhanid, Uzjand, Arslan Khan Ibrahim bin Husayn (551-74AH)
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:07:54 PM »
Triggered by Pellinore i again looked at some of my Qarakhanids. I did not show this one before i think.
Due to the peculiar scriptstyle and usually weak strike i find these still very hard to attribute.
Therefore i often cheat. This one was not attributed by reading, but mainly by its ornamentation.

I think this is an AE Dirham struck in the city of Uzjand, under the rule of Arslan Khan Ibrahim bin Husayn (551-74AH)
On the left picture the Kalima, on the right the name and title of the ruler in three lines.

AE 31 mm, 3.94 gr. Album-3416A, Kochnev-1104
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:02:24 AM by THCoins »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Qarakhanid, Uzjand, Arslan Khan Ibrahim bin Husayn (551-74AH)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »
Were you joking? Ornamentation is my only handle on these coins. Pretty, this one, but common enough to give me a headache had it been my puzzle.

Uzjand is now Uzgen in Kyrgyzstan, Mavarannahr in Qarakhanid times. One of my main frustrations with the Central Asian region is its hard borders. Doing a tour in Uzbekistan, it is very difficult to cross over to a neighbouring country unless you prepare well in advance and you know exactly what you want to see. Thus, Uzgen was on my list once I had understood its importance, I was very close and the only thing that stopped me was the @#%! border.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:01:49 PM »
I love these large and thin medieval coins with their fine ornamentation and calligraphy. Did you visit any of the old mint towns in Central Asia? Do you see ruins or a mound, or are there new cities?
I only visit these places with Google Earth.
-- Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 02:14:04 PM »
I was in the complex where the mint once was in Khiva, Bukhara, Samarqand and Kokhand. I was in the lobby of the modern Tashkent mint, but got thrown out :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 03:06:33 PM »
I am just an armchair traveller on the computer. And given the official policies on raising the retirement age it is not likely i will visit these places in person. But i enjoy myself anyhow !

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »
Surprise yourself, TH. The pension age raising fad is meeting its natural limits now and - apart from the air fare - Uzbekistan is very affordable due to an undervalued currency as well as bursting with attractions for tourists, especially the historically inclined.

Imagine being served tea by a Khorezm woman in front of a yurt under construction...

Peter