News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Euro coin designs that did not make it

Started by chrisild, August 22, 2009, 12:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Quote from: The Squadron of Simpletons on August 22, 2009, 04:17:35 PM
I assume that a lot of the architectural details on other designs are generic and not necessarily taken from actual buildings, living or dead.

And I guess that also applies to the 10 cent coin design you asked about. It probably represents "some" medieval monastery (right) and castle (left). Now that freeway interchange on the 50 cent design from that series, hmm, where have I seen that before? ;)

Designs G and H are the ones that I find interesting, at least the cent denominations. In both cases, the €1 and €2 designs are not "clear" enough, I think. Luycx's designs are not bad, except that a few years later they already had to be modified because the old map was outdated. Besides, is it really necessary to have the twelve stars on either side?

The Austrian central bank (OeNB) had a "Minted for Europe" exhibition (Euro Coins Genesis) three years ago. Here is a link to the folder (PDF) and an image. No descriptions either ...

http://www.oenb.at/de/img/gepraegt_fuer_europa__tcm14-41011.jpg
http://www.oenb.at/de/img/gepraegt_fuer_europa__tcm14-40342.pdf

The images here are from Anthony Roy's website; Lex Liesemeijer also has or had them. Neither of the two provides any information about what the designs show, and who the artists were. Except for the winning design of course.

Christian

chrisild

Aha, design G was apparently from Italy. Here are the designers, in (), and brief translations of the descriptions:

1 cent: Ionic capital (Maurizio Soccorsi)
2 cent: Corinthian capital (M.S.)
5 cent: Renaissance style decoration with a delphin and floral elements (M.S.)
10 cent: Floral decoration in rococo style (Eugenio Driutti)
20 cent: Part of a metallic construction (E.D.)
50 cent: Modular architectural elements (E.D.)
1 euro: Ornament from a Romanesque portal (E.D.)
2 euro: Gothic rose (M.S.)

Christian

Galapagos

Mystery design.jpg

Turbaned Man.jpg

Here's am image from the pdf you cited, Christian:-

http://www.oenb.at/de/img/gepraegt_fuer_europa__tcm14-40342.pdf

I'm not sure what it represents. Could it be the Ancient Greek Man & Beast Paralympics?  ;)

The turbaned man is also interesting - probably a Greek might-have-been design.

Galapagos

Quote from: chrisild on August 22, 2009, 11:33:13 PM
Aha, design G was apparently from Italy.

Of that set, I find the following two designs are very attracive:-

1 cent: Ionic capital (Maurizio Soccorsi)
2 cent: Corinthian capital (M.S.)

The rest are overly detailed, in my opinion.

Interesting that there are pdfs and web-based data to be had for these designs. Most of the alternative designs that I myself have presented in other threads, showing examples of the Royal Mint's work, come from photocopies I made at the National Archives in London, and I'm aware that they may be appearing on the web for the first time. I'm happy if that's the case, though I would prefer it if the Royal Mint were to make the documentation on them more widely available, for instance by providing downloadable pdfs, like the ones you have flagged, Christian.

There's not always a lot to say about alternative designs, but I'm sure most people will enjoy just looking at them, and either admire them or not. At least we get a glimpse into what might have been, and an insight into the range of possibilities from which designs are chosen.

chrisild

Quote from: The Squadron of Simpletons on August 23, 2009, 12:21:27 AM
I'm not sure what it represents. Could it be the Ancient Greek Man & Beast Paralympics?  ;)

Actually it is fairly modern. :)  This is Marino Marini's sculpture "L'angelo della città" (The angel of the city). Would have been interesting to see that on a coin. After all, the horseman has an easily visible erect penis. Too bad that the angle which the coin designer used is a different one ...

The other design ... darn, I know it. From a painting. But which one? And since both designs have the "RI" initials, they will be from Italy.

Christian

Galapagos

Hmm, it wasn't visible on that design, but I've had a look at Marini's sculpture, and I see what you big thing mean. If the horseman rode down an Italian street like that, he'd get arrested. In Germany, he'd probably get away with it.

chrisild

Quite possibly so. I know there is a nudist camp near Bonn where they also do a lot of horseriding. But I assume they would get into trouble if they did that in front of a downtown museum. :)  Oh, and I finally found the "turbaned man", hehe. It's Michelangelo's "Libyan Sybil" from the Sistina in Rome ...

Christian

Galapagos

Quote from: chrisild on August 23, 2009, 11:30:58 AM
I finally found the "turbaned man", hehe. It's Michelangelo's "Libyan Sybil" from the Sistina in Rome ...

Christian

Well spotted. I once asked an English art student what Michelangelo's first name was. She thought for a bit before answering: "Michael".

chrisild

saar.jpg

Saar trial.

At least she did ponder. :) But I remember that, when I was younger, I found it odd too that Mr. Michelangelo or Mr. Dante did not have a first name.

Here is another design that was never turned into a coin. I already mentioned the German plan to issue a "Saar" coin; below is Karl Roth's contribution. For that issue the government had specified the text that was supposed to appear (Heimkehr der Saar / Alter Turm zu Mettlach) and even the building that was to be depicted (that tower in Mettlach). Sorry for the odd angle; the photo was taken (not by me) when the Graichen Collection was shown at the European Central Bank five years ago. The guy has an amazing collection of error and "wannabe" coins.

Christian

chrisild

The official reason for not issuing that coin was that the government decided to not issue too many commems. Except that between November 1957 and March 1966 not a single one came out. ::) Then there was the rumor that issuing the Saar commem might have alienated the French who had suggested a different status for the Saar region. Who knows ...

Yes, Burkhard Graichen has the biggest collection of that kind, it seems. Busso Peus (dealer), Guy Franquinet (appraiser and dealer) and the Guinness Book of Records all agree on that. Currently Graichen tries to find a museum that would permanently exhibit his treasures, and even collects signatures  in a German coin forum for that purpose. So you may one day see them, umm, live.

Christian