New Commemorative Issue: 2009: C.N.Annadurai

Started by Bimat, August 23, 2009, 06:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Commemorative coin on Annadurai

CHENNAI: The Centre has agreed to release a commemorative coin on the birth anniversary of C.N.Annadurai.

A press release stated that Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi had written to Union Finance Minister P. Chidambaram with the request to issue a commemorative coin on the occasion of Anna's birth anniversary. In his response, Mr. Chidambaram agreed to take up the issue. In another letter on September 14, Mr. Chidambaram said that the Centre had decided to release a coin to coincide with Anna's birth centenary.

Mr. Karunanidhi thanked Mr. Chidambaram for his effort. He also wished Mr. Chidambaram on his 63rd birthday. — Special Correspondent

Source : The Hindu

Side Note:
The coin will be released on September 15,2009,denomination being 5 Rupees.

You can read more about Annadurai here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._N._Annadurai
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

MS

Bimat

Personally,I do not like political leaders appearing on coins.But since Indian government generally does that,I'm not so interested in these issues.Will surely try to get one for me,but not so crazy for it ::)
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Kid Romeo

Quote from: numismatica on August 23, 2009, 11:04:26 AM
Personally,I do not like political leaders appearing on coins.But since Indian government generally does that,I'm not so interested in these issues.Will surely try to get one for me,but not so crazy for it ::)
Me too.

Bimat

BC Numismatics

Aditya,
  I think that it is a case of wait & see,or something along those lines.

Aidan.

asm

News - Release Of Coin on Sh  C N Annadurai

Union Finance Minister Mr Pranab Mukherjee released a commemorative coin of Rs 5/- denomination to mark the  Centenary celebrations of Shri  C N Annadurai, Former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu at a Function in Chennai on 15 Sep 2009. A set was presented to Sh M Karunanidhi.

Does any one have an image?

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Bimat

I have seen its image somewhere on internet..Will post it here if I can find it again 8)

The design isn't appealing.I think it is also issued in nickel brass,but I'm not sure.

Aditya

asm

Aditya,
The Topic name is confusing. Could you please alter it to have the name of Annadurai in it. I had a hard time tracing this topic.

Amit

Bimat

Quote from: asm on October 16, 2009, 05:53:44 AM
Aditya,
The Topic name is confusing. Could you please alter it to have the name of Annadurai in it. I had a hard time tracing this topic.

Amit
I have changed the topic name. :)

In case you are searching a topic where a particular commemorative/regular issue was discussed,you may use  the 'Index of Coins on This Board'. :) I have tried to keep it updated,but some topics might not be listed there.If you find any such topic,please let me know so that I'll update the list.

Aditya

asm

Aditya,
I was drawing your attention to this one thread as well as similar ones where the topic name mentions the name of the country and new issue. Since there would be many such issues, it becomes confusing. Otherwise the index is great and quite up to date.

Amit

Figleaf

Indeed, you are doing a great job on the index, Aditya. It must attract new members.

Searching is always more complicated than it seems. Just yesterday, I saw an issue of a German computer magazine with a lead article on searching in Wikipedia! You have probably seen that there is a search field in the heading of every page. These searches depend on where you are. If you are on the main page and search for Annadurai, you search the whole forum. Do the same thing while you are in the board "Indian subcontinent: Mughal dynasty and colonial (1526-1947)" and it will search only that board, not even the sub-boards.

Have you noticed the magnifying glass to the left of the search box? It gives you access to an advanced search page. Uncheck the "Check all" box to see how you can refine searches even more. Let me give you an example. Search for MOVED by user * (any user) check the box "Search in topic subjects only" and change message age from zero to 14. This will give a list of all redirection topics in the last two weeks. I use 30, rather than 14 to clean out old redirection topics. Nifty, huh?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Here is an image.. :)
The coin isn't issued yet,I have been informed that it will be issued in first/second week of January,not a confirmed news,of course.

Aditya

Bimat

Just noticed,is it first trilingual coin of Republic India? Whatever inscriptions that appear below the portrait don't look like English ;D Must be Tamil?

Aditya